I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Saturday, May 30, 2009

In The Hospital

After my post on Thursday Alex woke up from a sound sleep at about 10:30 vomiting. Ughhh. She had thrown up all of her night meds that I had given her at 7PM that night. I thought maybe they were too much for her stomach since she had only had pedialite the entire day and that once that was out of her system she'd be better and go back to sleep. Wrong. She wound up vomiting three more times after that - I will spare you all of the details, but I knew the only option I had was to take her to the ER. So at 11:30 that night we packed her up and I drove her to the hospital, - sometimes I vacillate back and forth because I don't want her to pick up something worse while she's in there, but I'm really glad I took her. She threw up on the way to the hospital, on the way into the hospital, in the middle of her X-Rays (they wanted to make sure she didn't haven't a blockage), in the middle of starting the IV...sigh. I have NEVER seen her that sick before - and she really had nothing in her stomach to throw up in the first place. So obviously her blood work came that she was dehydrated - and remember that she's had a nissin fundiplication, so technically she's not supposed to be able to vomit. You would think that if there could be one positive side to having a feeding tube it would be that you could keep her hydrated. I mean come on, there has to be some perk! Poor girl.



The dr. in the ER was fantastic, her nurse on the other hand...Since my blog is PG I really don't want to type what I really want to call her. Seriously, WHY go into a specialized field if you clearly don't like people and seemed annoyed that you have do actual work. The IV process, which usually doesn't go well anyway, was an absolute nightmare and I finally put my foot down and told her that I wanted someone else. Uggh, it's so frustrating when you're trying to deal with your sick child that you have to put up with attitude from someone who is getting PAID to be there and help you! Alex was so upset by the whole ordeal in the first place and she certainly didn't make it any better. When Alex is frustrated, she either bites herself or pulls her hair. I had to take a picture of this before we left, because here's how much hair she pulled out during the IV process...




She was in the ER for about 15 1/2 hours before they decided to move her upstairs to a room. Not to be a martyr or anything, but do you have any idea what it's like to sit on a hard plastic chair all night? I couldn't leave the room for more than a minute while she was sleeping and it was a miserable night. By the time Aaron came to switch places with me last night and I got home to bed I had been up for 38 straight hours. I guess that's what mom's do though, right? And poor Aaron just had a terrible birthday. He says it doesn't matter it was just another day, but it does matter -I love birthdays and think they should be celebrated in a big way every year. He had done so much for me on Monday to make sure I had a great birthday and there was no way to do the same for him. I promised him some way I would make it up to him.

Thankfully Alex came home this morning and is feeling so much better. She's sleeping comfortably in her own bed right now and I'm running her formula at a very slow rate through her pump. She had a different type of formula in the hospital throughout the night and she tolerated it just fine, so I'm saying prayers she's just fine in a few hours.

One last thing...I had mentioned in a previous post that I had gotten her new red glasses. Well, I realized yesterday as she was starting to turn the corner that she was actually paying attention to the TV when I realized that I hadn't brought her glasses with me. The Eye Institute where I take her and had ordered her glasses from happens to be in the medical office building connected to the hospital. Aaron called them and her glasses where in - so I went to walk my sister downstairs and walked over and got her glasses. When I put them on her I kept saying, "Alex, who do you look like in these glasses?!?" Then it hit me...


Alex is the Ugly Betty look alike!!! Of course, she's no way near ugly, but come on, there's a resemblance, no?!?

Ok, I'm off to go get Zachary from my parents. I miss the little man. I think last night was the very first time, ever, that I have slept alone in my house. Very weird feeling!

5 comments:

Sherri and Jenni said...

You guys will be in our prayers like always.

shannon said...

Donna,

Bless your heart! How do you always find a way to make light of things too? The Ugly Betty thing had me cracking up. Does that mean Alex gets a bonus salary??? I'm saying a pray for a quick speedy recovery so that you can have a good vacation next week. Alex is such a trooper! Please call if you need anything, even if it is just a few minutes of fresh air by yourself:)

Dara and Jerry said...

I had no idea!! I am such a loser friend. I almost called to check on you guys yesterday. I wish I had. I am glad she is all better now and I hope you all have a wonderful vacation. Please take care.

Dara

Christy said...

I hope a day at home did some wonders. I know just being home after a hospital stay makes them happy - even if they still feel a bit bad. I've got my fingers crossed that she's all better by the time you leave!

See you soon,
Christy

Anonymous said...

so happy to hear she is on the mend and I love Ugly Betty! She is so cute so that makes Alex cute too.

Happy Birthday Aaron!