I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Little Feet Meet

I cannot begin to tell you what an awesome day we had. Alex participated in the Special Olympics Little Feet Meet at Freeman High School this morning, and all I can say is, Wow! It's times like this when I feel like I am so lucky to be Alex's mom. I definitely have days when I have the pity party and I feel like life is unfair and it's just too hard sometimes. But then there are days like today when I'm forced to stop and reflect on how lucky I am to be her mom and how lucky I am that I get to be involved in such awesome events like today. To be able to be surrounded by so many exceptional kids and their families is such an honor for me. The innocence and inspiration of all of the kids is just such an indescribable emotion. To watch my child throw a tennis ball and to cheer, and have others cheer for her like she just won a Nobel Peace Prize is, well, extraordinary. Something so many take for granted, but few take as a huge milestone, and get it, is awe inspiring. I left the Little Feet Meet with such a spring in my step that it's really, really hard for me to put into words. I hope this video gives a tiny glimpse into the great day we had.

I'd love to thank Mrs. Gibbons-Plowcha, Alex's teacher, for coordinating and keeping the group together and where we all needed to be...all of Alex's therapists who worked so hard to help her practice for today, and of course all of the aides and fifth grade buddies who really just made our day....to Miss Katie Estes, Alex's 'old' (she's way younger than me!) home school teacher for telling me about the Little Feet Meet, Miss Audretta - Alex's nurse who we have so much love and respect for, and all of the volunteers at Freeman High School...especially the boys who ran the Parachute table that were INCREDIBLE, and everyone else who had any part of the amazing day we were able to share as a family today. I am definitely looking forward to next year's events!

6 comments:

Christy said...

First of all, thanks for making me cry on a beautiful Saturday morning. That song, with those pictures. Sniff! I am so glad that it was such a great day for you all.

Mary Ann said...

Donna, after meeting you and your family I see how blessed Alex is having parents as wonderful and great as you two. I have heard so much about you and cannot thank you enough for being there for Tom, Christy and their children. I know you have a busy life..but you take the time to care for others. Alex is a beautiful little lady..so full of smiles and love. It is my priviledge to meet you. tom's mom. mary ann

paige said...

truly awesome!!! I just love that smile Alex has.

Anonymous said...

Dana B said...
Amazing! I have no words to tell you how much I love your montages. It's the next best thing to being there w/ you!
Love, love and more love!

Rhonda said...

What a fantastic day for you all! Alex is so beautiful. She just lights up a room. That smile is so contagious. Seeing those pictures definitely puts life into perspective. You're amazing!!
Rhonda

Linda said...

Hi Donna,
Your daughter is a beautiful girl. She seems very sweet. Your are an inspiration to me. I am also a mother of an 11 yr. old boy with AS and have never met anyone else with it. Your daughter reminds me so much of my son.. They are definitely angels sent down to teach us about unconditional love!