I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Catching Up!

How did it get to be Thursday already?!? It's been a busy week! On Monday, Aaron was given an award for the work that he does. The awards aren't just given out freely, so I'm really proud of him. He works really hard and it was nice to see him recognized.






Monday night we went to register Zachary for KINDERGARTEN. How did that happen?!? I can't believe he's going to school. I told him I was sad because I had no more babies and he told me it was ok if I still called him my baby...just not in front of his friends. :)


On to the girl. She has been giving me a run for my money this week! When we started the weaning process of the feeding tube during the day, Aaron made several comments that he was concerned about her feeding pump running all night and the possibility of her getting all tangled up in her feeding line while she was asleep. Well, Monday night we woke up at 2AM to a loud crash. We both bolted out of our bed and down the hallway to her room only to find that she had been moving around and got the feeding line wrapped around her neck. She tried moving again but it was so tight around her neck that there was NO give left in the feeding line so it actually pulled the IV pole down onto her bed. Not a fun way to get adrenaline coursing through your body at 2AM! Back to Zach for a second - Tuesday he was outside in the backyard playing on the swing set while I was inside feeding Alex. I checked on him and then went to give Alex her water flush and change her diaper. Went back to check on him (about 10 minutes had elapsed) and I couldn't find him - any where - (the backyard is fenced in and I knew there was really no way he could have gotten out of the yard). After running all around the house I ran back out into the backyard to finally see him curled up in a ball at the bottom of the back of the swing set. I ran and picked him up and he was breathing like he had the wind knocked out of him. He had fallen from the top of the climbing part of the swing set and had hit the metal rungs on the way back down. Minus the bruised head and arms and a sore belly, he's fine, thank God - but don't think for a minute between Alex on Monday night and him doing that on Tuesday that I wasn't seriously checking the mirror for gray hairs on Wednesday morning!!

Back to Alex...she had NOT been sleeping for the past week - waking up two, three and four times a night - crying. It felt like we had a newborn back in the house. I think I finally figured out that we were giving her way to much food. I was following the weaning program we got from Children's Hospital that was supposed to be 1400 calories a day. I sat down Wednesday and figured out the caloric numbers she's been getting daily, and she was getting almost 3000 calories a day...I don't even eat 3000 calories a day! So I'm pretty sure she was waking up because the continuous feed all night long was really causing her stomach to expand too much and she was uncomfortable. The night before last I stopped the continuous night feeds and she's slept all night through. She was at the pediatrician yesterday because on top of being miserable from her allergies, she's got a cold as well. I guess it's really no wonder she hasn't been sleeping!
That's all the time I have for now! :)

1 comment:

Christy said...

Holy Cow, Donna! Where have I been?! It sounds like you could use a drink. Any time available????