I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Crazy Thursday!

Another marathon day! We started therapy at 8AM this morning. Today was probably one of her best days to date - she sat independently for over six MINUTES! That is huge for her! Not only was she using her trunk to support herself, she was also reaching out with her left hand at the same time!




She also did a ton of walking today and while her left leg (her weaker side) was fatiguing quicker and not getting a full extension, she did great with little or no prompting at times. You'll see in the video how she's really not using her arms to support her weight - which is also huge. It means her trunk is getting much stronger!! You can see that in the sitting video as well. Obviously intensive therapy is going great for her despite her shoulder set back. Even at the end of her third hour this morning she was doing amazing weight bearing and balancing, with a smile on her face the whole time. I have to say we are SO lucky to have such an amazing therapist. Shannon - you are the best and we don't know where we would be without you!!!





Today was the first annual Richmond Hope Therapy Center golf tournament to raise funds for the scholarships that Cindy (the owner of Hope) offers to people who may not otherwise be able to afford the therapy. Cindy asked that Alex go to the shot-gun start of the tournament today so the people playing for the Foundation could meet Alex and see one of the kids that is benefiting from the therapy services they offer.



After that, we headed to her annual eye check-up. I dread this appointment every year because it takes over 2 hours by the time they dilate her pupils and get the examination complete and Alex does not like to sit in one place for more than 20 minutes, tops. All in all the appointment went well, her farsightedness has gotten worse, but her strabismus, which was really bad before glasses has gotten better. I can't wait till she gets her new glasses - they're red and very sassy!

When we got to the exam room they turned on Elmo In Grouchland (Elmo is her FAVORITE!) and she and Zach sat so patiently watching the movie. It was really quite cute because they were sitting next to each other and she kept putting her arm around him :). Of course, I just happened to have my camera with me!



LOL...her fancy dilatation glasses!



After the eye appointment it was a mad dash home to start dinner and get Zach's uniform on for his T-ball game, then three loads of laundry, preparing all of Alex's food for tomorrow, watering the flowers, vacuuming....I'm tired!

1 comment:

Christy said...

Heavens, I'm tired just reading about your day. I can't wait to see those red sassy glasses. I know she's proud of you for not picking pink! haha

I have more to say but will save it for this weekend.

Rest easy my friend!