I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

August???

Ummm...how did it get to be the end of August?!?  Wow.  One blog post all month...crazy :)

Things are good.  Alex has been doing well.  No seizures since her sinus infection.  She is growing like a weed.  I was looking at recent pictures I took of her and I can't believe what a big girl she is becoming.  I know she's excited to start school and get back on a routine - but I have to say she has had a GREAT summer.  She's been all about town and quite busy.

A few weeks ago I didn't make it to her therapy session and her nurse, Tabitha, sent me this video.  All I could think about while I was watching it is that she truly, truly inspires me.  When I think things are tough, or a challenge too hard, I'm just going to come back and watch this.  She works SO HARD.  She is such a trooper.  This is one of the first times she has walked without a trunk support.  She works so hard every day for the littlest things and she really makes me stop and reflect and not take things for granted.


EVERY day Alex watches the SAME Elmo video.  Without exaggeration, she probably watches it 4-5 times a day.  It's not that she doesn't have 100 videos to choose from, but this is the ONLY one she responds to.   Today Tabitha put in a "new" video and there was an elephant in it and Alex thought it was hysterical...Tabitha said she repeated it over and over again and Alex had the same response.  So funny!


Quick Zach story....he had his seven year old "well" check up on Monday.  With all of the issues Alex has had with vaccinations I've either denied or held off on some vaccinations.  His school called before the end of the year and said that he would need his MMR booster before he could come back in the Fall.  So Monday we went and I told him it was for a physical and yes, he had to have a shot.  The doctor, who we LOVE, is so great with my kids and knows us very well, obviously, and spends extra time with us.  After he did the normal checks he asked Zach to lay down and went to look at his "private" area....Zach was having no part of it, covered himself and said NO!....the Dr. didn't skip a beat and said it's OK Zach, Mommy's, Daddy's and Doctors can look....and Zach said NO!  So he calmly said, Zach, I just need to make sure everything looks OK and is where it should be....Zach didn't skip a beat either and said, "Trust me, it is and it's just fine!"  So I held his hands down and in 2 seconds that part of the exam was over.  When the visit was done, the Dr. said, so Zach, do you have any questions?  And Zach calmly said, "Yes, can you not look in my pants anymore?!?"....to which the Dr. replied - I promise I will not look in your pants...for at least another year!"  Don't know why - but I got a big chuckle out of that!  According to the Dr. Zach is tracking to be 6 foot tall....go Zach :) 

Yesterday was a pretty eventful day since we had an EARTHQUAKE!  5.8....wow!  Zach and Ronica were up at the park fishing and Tabitha was taking Alex to therapy.  The phone lines were so tied up I couldn't get in touch with either of them for quite a while and needless to say I was quite freaked out! 
This weekend we are supposed to leave for a MUCH NEEDED vacation but it looks like Hurricane Irene has other plans.  Sigh.  An earthquake and hurricane in the same week...really?!?

No comments: