I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Seizures and Sinuses


I know I still owe the Happy Birthday Part III post, but it's been a bad week here.  I will say the birthday party was great and Zach had an amazing time.

Alex on the other hand, not doing so great.  She's had 4 seizures this week and is just miserable.  She's been sporting a beautiful tan this summer, but this week she is just as pale as she can be.



Yes, that's how pitiful she's looked the last week.


Alex has what is called a Sleep Safe Bed and it's all enclosed so she can't fall out.  It's made out of maple wood and she's had it for the past 4 years...it looks like this:


We always try to pad it as much as we can since it's made of wood and she moves around so much, but when she had one of her seizures this week, she was convulsing right at the end of the wooden part of her bed and stripped the skin from her toes:






Despite the seizures, she has been miserable and not at all herself - she has been biting her arm to the point where she has drawn blood, has been pulling her hair out and just all around unhappy.  I suppose it's quite bittersweet, but all she wanted this week was to snuggle with me.  Normally she loves to have her own space, but she's been so content to sit with me on the couch for hours at a time.  She's been reaching for me and wanting hugs.  She's never done that before and while it's hard to see to her like that, at the same time it's so gratifying to me as her mom that she feels bad and wants me to comfort her...a TYPICAL reaction.   I took her to the pediatrician yesterday because I just KNEW something was wrong.  The Dr. examined her throat and ears, and once she got to her nose she said "oh my goodness"...apparently her nasal passages are so swollen from a sinus infection that they were almost 100% blocked.  She said when she was laying down it's probable that she can't breathe and that her head probably feels like it's in a vice (feeling like a crappy Mom as I look at her with a tight fitted pony tail on the top of her head). 

Bottom line....the Neurologist upped her medicine for the seizures and her pediatrician has her on meds for the sinus infection, which they feel triggered the seizures.  Hopefully she will start to feel better in the next few days because my happy, go lucky girl has gone from all smiles to being completely miserable.  It's been 4 days now and I miss my happy girl and  just DO NOT like seeing her like this :(

3 comments:

stacey hasse said...

Sending hugs to Alex and keeping her in my prayers.

Christy said...

I'm so sorry Donna. I feel terrible for her and for you! I really hope the sinus infection is the cause of the most miserableness and that she will feel better soon.

Hugs to you all.

Amy Fields said...

Donna, I am so sorry. Don't feel bad though. This week I found out that my son had a double ear infection and he had been miserable all week before I took him in. Hoping that Alex feels better soon.