I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Zach Gets His White Belt!

A few weeks ago Zach started taking karate classes - and he LOVES it!
Sometimes I really feel, no matter how hard we try, that Zach feels like he's always living in Alex's shadow.  My guess is that a lot of kids who have a special needs siblings feel like that at some point or another.  I think the older Zach gets and the more independence he has we rely on him more to do things for himself that in a "typical" family we would still be doing for him because he's the "baby", but having to tend to every one of Alex's needs I think sometimes he feels slighted or even a little envious of all the attention Alex gets.  Again, we make conscious efforts to not let him feel that way, but I think it's inevitable.  Anyway, I really wanted him to be involved in something that was all about him, that he could set goals for himself and feel really proud of himself when they were reached.  We've done basketball, t-ball and swim team, but those are all seasonal things that end.  Karate is a year round sport and something he's been talking about trying for a while now.

Yesterday he tested for his very first belt and he was SO excited.  One of the exercises they have to follow before they can get their belt is to write a letter of appreciation to their parents.  Zach had to write a letter to me on why he loves me - which went like this:

Dear Mom,
I love you because you play games with me.
I love you because you ride bikes with me.
I love you because you make tacos for me.
I love you because you're the best mom in the world.
Love,
Zach

So cute. 

Anyway, here are some pictures of him testing.  He was SO happy and SO proud of himself when he got his white belt - he wanted to know if would be ok if he slept with it. :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see everyday how you and Aaron make a conscience effort to give individual attention to Zach even when you have so many other things to get done and I know as he gets older he will be able to see this and appreciate it as well.

Stacey said...

You all are such an amazing example to the world of real love, commitment, and family. I am blessed every time I read your blog.