I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Just Some Random Stuff

Last weekend my brother called and said he wanted to have an "Uncle Danny" day with Zach.  He and my sister-in-law picked him up on Saturday, and God love 'em, spent 4 hours at Chuck-E-Cheese...enough said there!  When they got back we decided to go to a fair called Field Day of The Past.  We had a really good time and Zach pretty much ate his way through the fair - a corn dog, cheese fries, cotton candy, candy apple, snow cone - you know all the good healthy stuff! :)


 





Towards the end of the night Zach looked at me and said, "Mommy, I'm exhausted - I need to go home, take a shower and get into bed"!  Those words have NEVER come out of his mouth!  My sister-in-law was laughing at him dragging himself into the house and said "Ha, we did that to him - he didn't do that to us"!  I think they both thought the tables were going to be reversed, for sure!

Yesterday the kids both had dentist appointments.  The last time Zach went to the dentist he loved it, this time, not so much!  You can see from the look on his face that he was not comfortable with being there.


Alex was watching him the entire time, and thought the whole process was very funny....


...until it was her turn, look at the death grip she has on her bandanna!


I have been trying to get Alex in her walker around the house - her latest physical therapy sessions have not been going well from a walking standpoint.  We've taken the seat off her walker because if she feels it, she just wants to sit and not take her steps.  The hard part is that it is really a two person job getting her in the walker and helping to facilitate her legs to take her steps and help support her wait because most of the time she collapses her legs and just comes down on the support like a ton of bricks (I'm not painting a very good visual, I'll have to take a picture of her walker and post it later). Anyway, the support is around her chest, if she collapses down there's a good chance she's going to snag her g-tube, not to mention slip out of the support and fall.  As I said it's really a two person job, but since Alex is usually asleep by the time Aaron gets home, it's just me...but I'm DETERMINED to get her walking better and without so much support.  The bigger she gets, the harder she's getting to carry around - my knees and back already creek and ache so I can't even fathom how much harder it's going to be the more she grows.  So I've been trying to manage her in the walker by myself and it is NOT an easy task, it's basically like trying to nail jello to a tree!  A true workout for sure - I have so much respect and admiration for her therapist Shannon!  Yesterday as I was getting her dressed for school I noticed a bunch of bruises on her legs from what I can only guess is from me trying to facilitate her legs - can I just tell you how horrible I feel?  I know I'm trying to do a good thing by getting her walking, but if she's bruising, I'm probably hurting her, no?  Have I mentioned how her not being able to verbalize is the worst?? This isn't a good picture of her at all, but you can see the bruises on the top of her leg, and she has some on the back of her legs too :( 

 


Last night I had Back to School Night for Zach so Jennifer volunteered to come and watch the kids for me.  It's been two weeks now that we haven't seen her and I was SO excited to see her.  When she walked in she ran right over to Alex who was laying on the floor watching TV with Zach.  She stood her up and asked Alex for a hug...not only was Alex grinning from ear to ear, but she put her arms around Jennifer and gave her a hug!  Then she pushed away from her - looked at her face and hugged her AGAIN!  She did that four times!  And the last time she leaned into her she had her mouth open and was giving Jennifer a KISS!!!  I knew I would miss her like crazy, but it was REALLY apparent yesterday that I haven't been the only one!

1 comment:

Christy said...

You know how you see a bruise on yourself and think, "funny, I don't remember hurting myself - I have no idea when/how I got that!? Maybe Alex's bruises are like that. No pain.

So glad to hear that Zach is feeling better and that Jennifer visited.

See you soon!