I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Of Course She Did!

Yesterday was Physical Therapy day for Alex. I never leave her alone at therapy because I love to see what Shannon does so we can incorporate the same type of things at home, and I never want to miss anything that Alex might do. But yesterday I had two quick errands to run, and with it being so hot out, I wanted to run and pick up Zach from pre-school so I wouldn't have to go back out later and have to take her out with me. I got back right as Alex session had ended and, of course, Shannon said "she had the best session ever!" - she took FIFTY, yes 50 steps in her walker!!!!!!!!!!!! And, of course, she chose to do it when I wasn't there!! Uggh!

We got a new stander last week for her and this one is a million times better than the one we had. It tilts and is so much easier to get her in and out of. Her old stander strapped in the back so if Alex leaned backwards far enough the Velcro would give out. You had to literally stand behind her the entire time she was in it, while trying to entertain her where the tray was in front of her...probably not a good visual, but it was a pain nonetheless! Here's her new stander, which is awesome - it straps in the front and has a solid 'board' if you will behind her so she's completely secure. She's tolerated the stander for an hour the past few days, compared to the 20-30 minutes in the last one.


I don't know if it's because we've been working her out in her cage (pics of the cage to come soon!), if she's been working harder in her stander or that I've been having her walk more that her muscles are sore, but she hasn't been herself the past week or so. She's pretty happy during the day, but come night time, she's been crying and very frustrated. Last night we were up almost the entire night and she was just screaming. It's so extremely frustrating that she can't communicate with us what's hurting her and there's no comforting her...it's heartbreaking actually. I've always said that I would take any of her disabilities, the not eating, the not being mobile, etc. gladly if I could just communicate with her. I took her to the Dr. on Friday just to rule out possibilities - ear infection, strep - they even catheterized her to rule out a urinary tract infection which is just so unfair she has to go through that just on the "what if". She did flinch and tense up when the Dr. pressed on her stomach so she told me to give her Mylanta for a few days and if she wasn't better to take her to the ER for x-rays. Sigh. I don't want to go to the hospital and expose her to x-rays just because. I want her to be able to point or sign or scream to say THIS HURTS! I'm so tired of playing the guessing game when she's obviously uncomfortable or in pain and giving different medicine based on what I 'think' is bother her. She looks at me when she's crying like why aren't you doing anything at it really just overwhelms me. Ok, off my rant. I'm happy about the progress she made yesterday, I just wish I would have been there to see it!

1 comment:

Christy said...

So typical! I'm so sorry that you missed her awesome session - but I'm glad she had it! Now if you could just figure out what's going on with her at night...

Hugs to you!