I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Much to be Thankful For

Happy Thanksgiving! First my little "funny"...I was cooking for Thanksgiving and having my parents, brother, sister-in-law and mother in-law. My bird was a pain from the get go and despite being in the fridge for five days, was still frozen Wednesday night. So Aaron and I put the bird in the sink at midnight to soak. I woke up Thursday morning and felt TERRIBLE...knew I had to get the bird in the oven so I went down to the kitchen not at all with it but prepped the bird and got him in the oven. An hour later the house started smelling like Thanksgiving, I basted the bird a few times and six hours later I take him out of the oven...only he looks weird - I can't put my finger on it and call my mom to tell her he looks funny and his legs look a little weird. She assures me it's fine. Well, she gets to my house about an hour later, takes the foil off and immediately says DONNA! You cooked the turkey UPSIDE DOWN! UGGGGGGGGGGGH! I was SO upset and couldn't believe I had done that!!! After everyone was done laughing about it and getting in their countless upside down jokes...my dad flips him over (he did not look pretty at that point!) and put him back in oven to brown him again. I should have taken a picture, but even though he wasn't the Norman Rockwell vision of a turkey, he was the moistest turkey we had ever eaten and the rest of the spread was delicious! :) My sister-in-law called me yesterday to tell me that Chef Wolfgang Puck always cooks his turkey upside...so I guess I shouldn't beat myself up too much??? At least we made a great memory, right?!?
We have lots to be Thankful for this year...Alex is continually making great strides. We are blessed in so many ways and though I've said it before, we are so thankful for our amazing family and circle of friends.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, dinner at the Hayes home???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spmqbs8YCW8

Happy Thanksgiving.

Tom

Donna said...

Thanks Tom - I'm oficially removing you from that circle of friends I was referring to! ;)

Anonymous said...

Are you really "oFicially" removing me from the list or are you oFFicially removing me...

Good ole Yankee Ed-ja-ma-cation.

Tom

Donna said...

Wow - you are fiesty today! A top chef AND the grammer police! I'll save my other comment for a not so public arena!

Christy said...

Donna,

Please don't hold my husband against me and my kids. The rest of us are much more pleasant to be around. But, your story is hilarious and I can totally relate as I am a terrible cook. In fact, I give you much credit, I would never attempt to cook a turky myself. BTW, are you feeling better?

Always thinking of you,
Christy

Anonymous said...

Turky...I see this is contagious...and she is a southern gal. Oh yea, GO STEELERS! Can you tell is sunday.

Donna said...

Maybe a dictionary is in order for all of our stockings Mr. Perfect :)
PS - You forgot IT or IT'S in your message...have another beverage! :)