I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Birthdays and a LONG Weekend!

Aaron's dad had a birthday on the 8th, his grandmother turned 89 on the 14th, my grandmother turns 94 on the 18th, Alex will be 7 on Sunday and my dad will be the big 65 on Sunday...whew!!! There was a little party for Aaron's grandmother on Saturday that we wanted to go to, but the drive to Albany is too far for Alex (she refuses to sleep in the car..she never has...) and the airline tickets were over a thousand dollars. It so happened that my parents were heading up to New Jersey this weekend also to see my grandmother, so we tagged along. I have not seen my grandmother since my wedding (over 9 years ago) and she has never laid eyes on my children...how terribly sad is that? She prays for Alex every single day and she told my dad the one thing she wanted to do before she died was to hold Alex. She is pretty unbelievable - she still lives completely alone and gets around with her walker like nobody's business! I told her today she didn't look a day over 8o :) I was so glad we made the trip...when we first got there she wanted Alex right next to her and she cried while telling Alex how much she loved her and how she prays for her...and Alex actually reached up to touch her face. It was so obvious how happy my grandmother was to see the kids and how much the trip meant to her. So we were gone 34 hours and spent over 15 of those hours in the car, but it was really worth it.

Reaching out for her great-grandma's face


Zach meeting his great grandma D for the first time!

The "DePasquale" clan



Me and my Grandma

One last kiss



The kids did SO awesome all weekend with all of the driving we had to do - I am SO proud of them.

Thank goodness for the DVD player...I think Zach watched 7 movies!




Look at those eyes - one tired little girl



Quick update on Alex's MRI's...her neurologist does want to have her brain done, so they have both been scheduled for December 23rd at 6AM...uggh. Not exactly how I want to spend two days before Christmas.

I'm exhausted and heading to bed...poor Zach - I promised him I would read him a story right after I checked my e-mails...and, well...




within 2 minutes he fell asleep on the floor waiting for me...obviously it was a long weekend :)

No comments: