I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

New Emerging Skill

Last week at speech therapy Alex actually sucked on a straw...it's not actually a conventional straw, but a bottle made out of a hair dye bottle with tubing as the straw...but it was the first time she has sucked anything other than her thumb (which is new too) in over 5 1/2 years! We've been working on it all week so I was excited to go to speech therapy but her therapist had to cancel this afternoon. So Alex and I had our own therapy session and here's the first "attempt":




I then got the brilliant idea to add blue Kool-Aid (what was I thinking?!?) to the bottle so I could actually see how much she was sucking in...her face when she sucked and got that new flavor was priceless...I wish I had my camera on for that :)

We are still working on the suck and then swallow process, but she's trying hard! Here's one more with the Kool-Aid...(warning if your volume is up - she squeals a little bit!) I did eventually get a video of her sucking twice and swallowing, but it was too big to upload here...