I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Med Changes

This is my first time at a true blog attempt - so please bear with me as I figure out what I'm doing and tweak it as I go! Before I start, a big thank you to Christy who helped me set this up!

Now on to the actual post!!

When we were leaving Florida, the Dr. there suggested we try and wean Alex off of some of her meds. The reasoning is that the purpose of the hyperbaric treatments is try to heal and awaken neurons in Alex's brain and some of the meds she is on suppresses those neurons. So we met with her neurologist on Monday and we discussed weaning. Two of the meds specifically are Clonodine for sleep and Tenex for her "manic" behaviors. Monday night we started giving her 1/2 a pill for sleep and she seemed to do just as well. The Tenex on the other hand is another story! To give a little insight, Alex gets VERY excited over certain things and cannot control her excitement. She squeals and yells so loud that glass could break, she pulls her hair and she laughs uncontrollably - but I'm all for her being more alert. Well, careful what you wish for, right?!? She did great at school yesterday and today being on half a pill of Tenex. So when she got off the bus I put her right in the car to head out and do some shopping. The car trip to the store was an experience in itself - I have never seen her so out of control! Once in the store she did fairly well, but there were a few screams throughout the store that I swear the mannequin's cried :) I've stopped looking around at other people's reactions, I mean it is what it is and I can't take it back so I don't want to see disapproving looks, or that same look on peoples faces after she's scared them half to death! Is that wrong? I just don't feel like I need to acknowledge them staring and apologize for something she clearly can't help.
Anyway, we finished up our shopping and went to pick Zach up from daycare - and she was clearly excited to see him.

I ran out of baby food today (of course I didn't realize it until I went to the pantry to get some), so I opted to feed her some chocolate pudding while Zach and I (or should I say while I ate my dinner...) Here is her happy chocolately self!


So that's it for my first true post!!

1 comment:

Christy said...

I love being able to read your blog! I am so glad that you did this! I really hope you like writing in it as much as I do in mine.

Great job and cute chocolate pic!!!
~Christy