I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Thursday, June 21, 2018

8th Grade Graduation

Last Thursday was an extremely emotional day....both Alex and Zach graduated from 8th grade.  

And this happened....


While it definitely did not go the way I intended, or the way she did when wen we practiced, I truly cannot articulate my emotions seeing everyone on their feet clapping for my sweet girl. This was the very first time she has ever walked publicly outside of practicing at therapy so the fact that she got a standing ovation by almost 600 people was incredible.  I have to remind myself that we were told that her recovery from her spinal fusion wouldn't be complete until August and that she wouldn't even return to finish the school year.  I have to remind myself that the fact that she was there and SHE walked, no matter how she did it, is HUGE!  She works so hard every single day for the simplest things and this just culminated so may emotions and I am SO proud of both of my Cougars!

In Zach's case, I truly feel like I blinked and Middle School was over.    Zach just asked my why I make a big deal of taking first and last day school pictures....Well, let's just say, Exhibit A...


First day of 8th Grade
Last day of 8th grade
I couldn't help  but go back and compare his first day of 6th grade to this week as well!

First day of 6th grade!
Last day of 8th grade!
At almost 5'10, to say he's grown a lot is an understatement!  I'm super proud of his Middle School career, and while he has driven me quite crazy throughout, he really is a great kid and we're both very excited for the next chapter of his life.  

And while we're at it, I should probably compare Alex'x first day of 6th grade and last day of 8th grade as well:



Last day of 8th grade

And her first day of 8th grade:


And her last...Graduation day!
Alex has been in Middle School for 4 years and her teacher and some of the staff have become like family.  It was the most emotional week and my very last walk out of the school wasn't a pretty one.  Maybeline couldn't have made enough water proof mascara to get me through.  I have had such a special relationship with her teacher the last 4 years and it's so hard for me to imagine what next year will be like. 

Ms. Hadji has probably been the best thing that has happened to us in the last four years.  I cannot put into words how much this woman means to me.  Ms. Hadji is so exceptional and her love and belief in Alex, and all of her students, is truly something special to witness and be a part of.  I don't know how we will manage without her next year but I do know that we are moving on better people because of her.  Alex has THRIVED the last four years and we truly feel blessed to have been a part of her extraordinary classroom. 



This picture encapsulates their relationship....no words needed. 

If there is ONE thing Alex loves it is the school bus.  I often joke that if the neighborhood is not awake when Alex's bus arrives that they will definitely be awake be when she leaves!   I also joke if Alex ever needs a limousine ride that I will contact Central Office to coordinate her to arrive anywhere in her favorite style!

Her very first Middle School bus ride!
It should be noted that Alex developed a very special relationship with Mr. Eric, her afternoon aide on her bus.  Alex could make Mr. Eric blush better than no other could!  When Mr. Eric got married this year Alex gave him a 2 week silent treatment but then decided she would take him any way she could have him.  Oh, Mr, Eric, you have no idea how much we will miss you!

Her very last Middle School bus ride!

As much as it pains me, that's a wrap bus #333!



....and speaking of a wrap....some actual graduation pics!

MeMe and Papa with Alex!
MeMe and Papa with Zach
SO proud of my boy!


Dad had a crazy work day and we didn't get any pictures all together during the ceremony but we all went out afterwards to celebrate - CONGRATULATIONS CLASS OF 2018!!

No comments: