I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

An Update, Finally!

I seriously cannot believe it has been almost a year and a half since I have blogged.   Obviously a LOT has gone on, a LOT has changed and some has stayed the same.

In brief summary, Alex and Zach are both sophomores in High School this year.  


Zach is 6 foot and taller than both Aaron and I.  Alex is finally gaining weight and reached 80 pounds this month!

A few weeks ago Aaron and I celebrated our 20 year wedding anniversary!


We've been through a lot - we've struggled, we've grown, we definitely have been through good times and bad and sickness and health.  And I can honestly say we are better and stronger than we have ever been.  I'm proud of us and all that we've endured.  I'm proud of how far we've come and I am so incredibly thankful for the man that he is and the amazing father he is. 


Last month was the 2nd Annual We Heart Harlie and Friends Gala.  We Heart Harlie Friends is a foundation whose mission is to offset the financial strain of medically fragile children.  Their mission is to also reduce the worry, limits and fear and to increase hope, access and joy.   We have been blessed to be a part of the foundation for the last few years and this year I was honored to be asked to speak at the Gala and share our story.


I have known Harlie (the whole reason the foundation was started) and her Mom, Christy for over 10 years and I can honestly say she is a such an incredible mom, warrior and friend.  Harlie's story is unbelievable, Christy is just as unbelievable; and I really do feel lucky to call her my friend.  We had a great impromptu lunch on Friday and I brought up that I wondered if we would have been friends if our situation was different.  Our daughter's had a wonderful speech therapist that brought us together, and while we do have similar circles that we run in,  I'm not quite sure we would have had the opportunity to connect the way we have if it were not for our circumstances.  Christy and I have such similar personalities, philosophies on life, marriage, senses of humor, values, and overall positive attitudes...even though there are days we want to have anything but!  Whatever, or however, we were lucky enough to become friends, I'm grateful.


If you missed our Gala this year, all I can say is you missed a really good time and this picture probably sums up all of the excitement and fun we had!  We raised over $130,000 and it was another wonderful example of what an incredible community we have that support, love and accept us!



I'm so thankful for my family that supported us and the foundation, and looked good doing it!








Today is the 4 year anniversary of receiving Alex's diagnosis of Grin2B.  I really can't think of a more special day to share our message and say thank you to the We Heart Harlie and Friends Foundation for giving me that honor and for supporting and loving us the last few years: 


If you would like to know more about the Foundation, how you can help, or sign up for our 2nd annual Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot, please click here:  We Heart Harlie and Friends.


1 comment:

James said...

Finally! Great job Donna! I hope I am in town for the next gala (I know I always say that). Please don't wait another 18 months to post.