I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Appointments, Appointments, Appointments!!

In the last week Aaron and Zach had their follow-up melanoma checks, I had my skin check, we had two physical therapy appointments, an occupational therapy appointment, an Ear, Nose and Throat appointment, two fundraisers, two basketball games, piano lessons, a birthday party, a Board meeting, a nursing manager visit, a facilitator visit, a school meeting and a neurology appointment.  That's on top of working, all the other 'typical' running around I do.  Whew - I'm tired!

Aaron had another spot that was biopsied so we are waiting on the result of that.  Alex had her neurology appointment today.  I hate going downtown for that appointment, the parking is terrible and just going down there gives me heart palpitations!  To be honest I don't always really like to hear what the doctor has to say about Alex.  In this post  she said her belief is that Alex has a degenerative brain disorder so every time we have a neurology appointment that conversation likes to rear it's ugly head in my mind.  My prayers for this appointment were answered because I do feel like we had a very productive appointment and none of that was brought up. We are waiting for the scheduler to call us with a date for Alex to be admitted into the EMU (Epilepsy Monitoring Unit) in the next week or so to see what her brain activity is up to and to also see what's going while she is sleeping since her seizure monitor has stopped working and it's not likely we'll be getting a suitable one in the near future. Ironically enough (or most likely she couldn't help but notice the copious amounts of drool) the doctor asked me if we had been to an ENT about Alex's drool.  I told her that we had been just this past week but it wasn't a very productive appointment and the doctor had no suggestions and couldn't answer any of the questions I had for him.  She said that collaborates with two pediatric ENT's and she and I were able to talk about two of the things I tried to talk to our other ENT about - the botox procedures for drool and the surgical procedure that can be done. I have some research to do but by the time we left our appointment her office already had us scheduled for an appointment next week with the new ENT.  Despite two phone calls to request lab slips prior to our appointment today, I never received them so we had to have her lab draws done while we were there to check her liver and kidney functions in addition to her medication levels.  She was SO good for the entire appointment AND her blood draw.  I'm thrilled to say we had an awesome phlebotomist who was able to fill all the vials she needed in just one stick - that is a huge blessing in itself so maybe that's why the lab slips never showed up!  This is not the best picture of her - but she was happy, happy with her hot pink band aid nonetheless when we were leaving.  (Funny little tidbit - we got home from her appointment and guess what was in the mailbox?  Her lab slips!)

  
It certainly doesn't look like things are going to slow down here any time soon so prayers for strength and endurance are welcomed!

2 comments:

Susan said...

I hope things slow down for you a bit. I'm curious what make Alex's wheelchair is if you wouldn't saying.

Donna said...

Not at all, her chair is an R82 x-panda on a multi frame base. Very easy to maneuver, love it! :)