I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Sunday, February 1, 2015

A Whole New World

I've blogged before about Alex playing basketball and about how much we love Jacob's Chance and the Buddy Ball program.  And I've blogged before about Alex's new walker and how much she really seems to enjoy being in it.  For the most part, she is all smiles when she gets in it.  It gives her such a different perspective on things and opens up a whole new world.  Yesterday we took her walker to basketball and for the first time ever she "played" a few minutes not in her wheelchair, but walking! This walker can offer so many possibilities for new opportunities that she's never been able to experience before. 

A big thank you once again to Alex's PT, Shannon - even on a Saturday she's working and helping Alex to be the best she can be.  We definitely hit the PT lottery when we got Shannon 10 years ago!


I've also blogged before about the wonderful buddies Alex has and Mr. Steve did not skip a beat when we switched things up on him from the wheelchair to the walker.  Steve and his son Andrew were all smiles, as was Alex, walking the court.


This video is the very essence of the awesomeness that is buddy ball.  I wish I was standing on the opposite side so you could see Alex's face - but if you can hear past my yelling, you can hear the gym calling her name.  And you'll notice how both teams just stood patiently waiting for her to shoot the basket.  Once the basket went in she was so excited and was all smiles, she was so proud of herself!!


Is it any wonder I leave every game with a big smile on my face??

And speaking of smiles on my face, thank you to everyone who reached out to me on my last post. Yes, things are really hard sometimes but I truly have the best friends, family and people who are there to support me and I am so thankful for that when times are tough.  A big thank you to my friend Monique for these beautiful flowers she sent me.  


Part of her card said "It takes both rain and sunshine to make a rainbow."  Such a simple statement that is so true and so easy to forget.    

2 comments:

Susan said...

What a nice friend. That saying is so true. I love it. You're doing a great job.

Love that Alex gets to play basketball. So awesome!

Susan said...

Hi Donna. Here is a link to the blog post I promised about the hammock swing with links of where to purchase. http://ainsleyrae.blogspot.com/2015/02/ainsleys-hammock-swing.html