I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Another Round Of Intensive Begins!

Monday started another round of intensive physical therapy.  It's worked out with Aaron's schedule that he's been able to take Alex and her nurse Tammy to therapy while I go to work.  Tammy's been sending me pictures so I feel like I'm there with some funny captions --  it about broke my heart to get this first one though.  She looks so scared and unsure and I wanted so bad to be there in front of her to cheer her on.  Her surgery was two months ago and on top of the incisions that she's had to deal with, she's grown...AGAIN.  I'm so proud of her and happy to say that she totally pulled it together and gave 100%.
 

She has muscles she hasn't used in SO long so this intensive has to be just that, INTENSE.  So after 3 hours of therapy, she was less than thrilled with me and Tammy when we put her in her stander after she got home and ate her lunch. Being in her stander is really imperative to getting her and her glutes and hamstrings to facilitate properly.  Alex still refuses to put any weight whatsoever on her legs so the stander is an integral part of that. 


When Alex woke up this morning she was all smiles as usual.  She stretched a little and winced a little bit and I fully anticipated that today was going to be a battle but I could not have been more pleasantly surprised when Tammy texted me that she was having a phenomenal session and she had not fussed one time and was all smiles.   She rocked out another session and only started to fuss when her daddy walked in and she felt like she needed to put on a show :)


Oh Shannon!  I have just mastered cage therapy 101 and now this?!? 
 
In true Shannon fashion, she was trying to facilitate and isolate certain muscles and this is NOT a typical cage exercise.  In fact, no one has ever quite seen a set up like this before :)  Shannon knows what Alex needs and she 'Magyvers' whatever she can to achieve optimal success.  She constantly thinks outside of the box and is not afraid to take the initiative to do what needs to be done or go into uncharted territories. 

3 days down, 12 more to go - we have SO much to gain in this intensive and I'm SO anxious to see where we are going to be once we are done. I am praying, praying, praying that Alex is going to be able to support her own weight and that maybe, just maybe she'll be able to be in her walker taking some really purposeful steps. 

3 comments:

Kirby said...

I'm praying too!! Love & hugs to all of you!
-Kirby Pierce (GACC Social)

Kirby said...

I'm praying too!! Love & hugs to all of you!
-Kirby Pierce (GACC Social)

Anonymous said...

She will stand up and rock it out.....like she ALWAYS does. She happens to have pretty amazing parents too!
love and hugs to you all ~ Ellen