I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Friday, February 21, 2014

Where Does The Time Go?

It's so hard to believe we had a meeting at Alex's school yesterday to discuss her transition from Elementary School to Middle School.  I was really glad they had a box of tissues on the table when we walked in.  It's no secret Alex loves going to school.  I love that she loves getting on the bus and going to school. Even when we drive by the school on a weekend she gets so excited, and that makes me happy.  She's been at the same school, in the same classroom for the last seven years.  It's all we know.  To think about her going out to the big league is so bittersweet for me.  It is SO hard to see how fast time has gone.
 
My sweet girl in Kindergarten...
                 
                     Just before she went to bed tonight.

 
We had her IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for the rest of the year and set goals for next year.  I will say the staff from the Middle School made me feel really good about her going there and the team made Aaron and I feel like they are really involved on all levels.  I know a few other kiddos that have gone through the program and the parents have spoken very highly of the program .  They told us to bring Alex, starting now, to visit the school at anytime.  They want her to attend the rising 6th grader camp day, invited and highly recommended that Alex attend the pep rallies (just the thought of her being at a pep rally made me smile) as well as all sporting events.  Again, I just had to smile because I know Alex will just love that.  The louder the noises the better.  Maybe I can get her on the marching band and she can bang the symbols! :)  
 
I don't know if I'm more sad about her leaving what is so familiar, or the fact that she's not such a little girl anymore. I really, truly feel like this is going to be a great thing for her and I'm excited to see what Middle School has in store for her.   BUT, my little Allie Bean is growing up and it's such a hard thing for me to grasp.  I see her changing, I see her becoming more social and interactive and I as much as I'm proud of her for that, for how hard we've worked to get her there,  I want to keep her where she is, but she's ready, it's me whose not.
 
On a side note, Zach really wants me to hold her back just one more year in Elementary School so they can both start Middle School at the same time.  In two years for the first time ever they will both be in the same school - another positive in the pro column on my mental pros/con list :)  For now, I'm going to really make a conscious effort to enjoy the last couple of months of our current norm and worry about the rest when the time comes!

No comments: