I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Quick Follow Up

As a follow up to my last Inclusive Racing post,  I wanted to post this from the newspaper on Sunday:


How cool is that?  Her time was posted in the paper for the top 20 in her age category.  Alexandra Hayes.  Not Inclusive Racing, not Team Alex, just Alexandra Hayes.  And while I wouldn't have minded if it was listed like that at all because it was such an incredible day, for a moment in time she gets to be in all her glory as just Alexandra Hayes.  For all the people reading the results on Sunday morning all they think is, cool, some girl between the age of 10 and 14 named Alexandra Hayes ran an 8K.  Good for her.  No mention of a disability, no mention of a wheel chair, no pictures of her braces or the stroller, just Alexandra Hayes.  A simple name with some numbers, but such a huge story behind it.  And something so taken for granted, means so, so much to me. 
 
For those that asked about making a donation to Inclusive Racing, you can donate online at https://www.wepay.com/donations/inclusive-racing.  If you prefer to send a check, message me and I will send you the address it can be mailed to.
 
One last thing.  A friend of mine ran the full Marathon on Saturday (way to go Chris!) and he posted the following picture on his Facebook page.  I had to make a slight modification to it though...it spoke volumes to me because Saturday actually did change my entire outlook.
 
 

3 comments:

Chris White said...

She is one of my favorite heroes!! There was one time I wanted to quit, and I thought "Alex is racing too, you know. Keep going. No quit. Cowboy Up!"

I would like to get a team together and run a race with her at some point.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing this! I ran the 8K and, for about 2 miles paced with Alex and her team. She was awesome! Sticking it out in the rain and cold. "Talking" when she was excited or frustrated. Her team was right there on all sides guiding their runner to the finish.
Bless you for your outlook, your knowledge that the world needs to understand and for being awesome parents who, like others, allow their kids to participate in fun activities.

Anonymous said...

AGAIN ~ you make me cry. Love to you all ~ Ellen