I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

KNOCK ON WOOD?!?

So I THINK I may have figured out what has triggered Alex's seizures lately.  I started to journal Alex's days to see what, if anything, was different to see if there was any thing I could pinpoint.  With her low tone, and lack of mobility, Alex has A LOT of constipation issues.  The one constant thing that I was journaling was that she was having issues and we had upped her Miralax (a powder laxative) intake.  A little history - when Alex was first born we left the hospital 2 days after she was born and we had zero indication that anything was wrong.  She received her first round of immunizations and from that day on she screamed and cried - ALL THE TIME.  That was a real rough period for us that I remember vividly.  After another round of immunizations, she suddenly lost her suck/swallow coordination.  She had breast fed like a champ, but all of sudden she seemed to have "forgotten" how to eat.  After another round of immunizations, she started having seizures.  It was then we realized that Alex's body could not tolerate immunizations.   She was prone to pneumonia when she was younger and my pediatrician convinced me to give her a flu shot one season.  Yep, two days later we were admitted to MCV for seizures.  The flu shot has mercury in it.   After doing some research we discovered that Miralax has a lot of metals in it.  We have stopped the Miralax and even brought her night seizure medication dose back down to the 5ml's (a few posts back I mentioned the Dr. had upped her dose to 8ml's in the evening) and KNOCK ON WOOD (here's where I hope I don't kick myself for talking out loud again!) she has been seizure free for almost two weeks!!!  Of course we are now dealing with a whole host of other bathroom issues, but we're experimenting with natural powders to get her back on track with that as well.  Here's to praying that was the cause!! 

No comments: