I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Miracles Are All Around Us

Two weeks ago I went to see Miracles From Heaven.  I thought I needed to hear the message considering the state I was in.  Considering the state I was in, probably not the best movie choice for me!  I cried throughout the entire movie.  It hit way to close to home - I could relate way too easily. Truthfully, it hurt. At the end of the movie they show the "real" family and the mom makes a statement about miracles being all around you and how they can be in complete strangers, in every act of kindness.  Miracles are Gods way of letting us know we're not alone.  

Fast forward two weeks and Alex is supposed to run with our Inclusive Racing Friends in the big Monument Avenue 10K.  We've been running with Inclusive for the last two years and I really never have the right words to articulate what the group, and the amazing friends that we have made means to us.  I can't explain the excitement of race day, I can't put into words the gratitude I feel for the people who sacrifice their own run for Alex to enjoy something she would never be able to do without them.  I can't explain the immense joy I feel seeing Alex so happy getting her medal and with the wind in her face (and we've run in some pretty extreme weather!)  Earlier in the week we were watching the weather and when they called for the temps to be in the 30's with snow showers Aaron looked at me and said, you know she just can't run in that this time.  As much as I wanted to argue with him and tell him she would be fine, deep down inside I knew he was right.  And again, I felt deflated and mad that because of everything she has going on she can't even enjoy a run.  We hadn't met the runners of "Team Alex" for this race but from some e-mail exchanges and Facebook posts I saw I knew they were going to be a great group to run with and I knew Alex was going to have a great run and with the sacrifices they were making I felt so guilty that they were not going to get the true feel of what racing with Inclusive felt like. And I was beyond disappointed.  

On race day my phone went off and I opened up a text message from one of my favorite Inclusive friends Laura with this picture:



I didn't think I had any more tears left in me.  Turns out I did. A lot of them!  Bryan, on the end on the left, is the founder of Inclusive Racing and he decided that Alex WOULD be at the race!  I felt SO much love for Alex, I felt so grateful.   I had e-mailed the team earlier that morning apologizing to the team and I got a message back from Kimberly (standing next to Bryan) that said: 

"It seems Alex has hundreds of fans and friends in Richmond.  Many people called out her name to us as we ran today.  A couple people came over and said they know Alex and love her!"  

On Monday we went to therapy and Sarah, who is a physical therapist at therapy but is also on the Inclusive Racing Board, stopped Alex when we walked in and said she had something for her.  Then she put a medal from the race around her neck.


This picture DOES NOT do the excitement Alex showed any justice at all.  She laughed and hugged her arms to herself and was she was SO happy. (And, I had more tears.)

Miracles are all around us.  Miracles can  be in complete strangers, in every act of kindness.  Miracles are Gods way of letting us know we're not alone.  

It's so easy to get caught up in all the bad things and sometimes it's so hard to see the forest thru the trees, but we are completely surrounded by miracles.  We are SO thankful and grateful to Bryan and EVERYONE that makes Inclusive what it is.

April 30th is the 5th Annual We Heart Harlie and Friends fundraiser and we are so blessed to be a part of that as well.  My friend Lynda works tirelessly to make this event bigger and bigger every year.  Thanks to this amazing organization we were able to make a handicapped accessible bathroom for Alex.  For more information about the organization, to learn about the pretty cool kids she's helping, or to sign up for the upcoming event visit http://weheartharlieandfriends.org/

We are also so thankful to my friend Kate and all of our friends at Jacob's Chance who give Alex all of the opportunities to play the sports that she loves so much and also give her so many social opportunities.  For more information on this amazing organization and the great things that are happening, visit www.jacobschance.org.

 Miracles are all around us.  Miracles can  be in complete strangers, in every act of kindness.  Miracles are Gods way of letting us know we're not alone.  

We're surrounded by miracles and kindness.  We're not alone.  Thank you.

No comments: