I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

We Heart Harlie and Friends

On May 9th the 4th Annual 5K and Fun Run to support We Heart Harlie and Friends was held. 


This year Harlie's friends were Alex, Abby and sisters Peyton and Morgan. 


A big part of the event is a 5K and Alex's friends from Inclusive Racing came to run with her and her friends.  Alex's friend Nate that ran with her last year was back to run with her again.


 
Alex is such a flirt so she was more than happy to see Nate and stare at him!
 


And we LOVED seeing our friend Laura!

Race time!  Alex is happy and ready to run with her team!


At the starting line!

 
When I was going through my pictures (which all have a very odd look to them because I didn't realize a setting had changed on my camera!) I was struck by this picture:
 
 Look at ALL the people that showed up to support We Heart Harlie and Friends.  And the other thought I had was that is was all made possible by one woman who saw a need, had a vision, works tirelessly to find ways to change it up and make it bigger and better each year and truly wants to make a difference.
 
Lynda Reider, you my friend, are amazing.
 
 
Some of the fun things of the day were raffles, t-shirt sales, food trucks, face painting, a DJ, bounce houses, cotton candy and caricature artists.  This year Lynda also hit the pavement and for the first time there were corporate sponsors.

Lynda and I in front of the corporate sponsor banner
 
Alex had her face painted and she absolutely LOVED it!
 
 
Another addition this year was Kids Helping Kids.  Lynda invited kids to come to the event to sell an item or offer a game of some sort.  Her only stipulation was that they donated a portion of their proceeds to the cause.  The kids all did an amazing job selling jewelry, cupcakes, crafts, etc.  Zach came up with the idea of Hoops For Harlie and Friends.


 
Each of the kids donated most, if not all, of the money they raised.  They are amazing kids.  Zach's been saving up money to buy a pair of hunting boots he wants so I was beyond proud of him when he gave what he made, all $90, to Lynda.
 
MeMe contributing to the cause and taking a shot!
 
 
 
 
 
Aaron and I were thrilled that his Mom and Uncle Louie and Aunt Barbara were able to come in from Niagara Falls for the event again this year.  It's hard to travel with Alex so we are so appreciative that Aaron's parents and Aunts and Uncle sacrifice the time to make the drive down to see us.  We have such amazing family support all around us.
 
 
The day before the event we had a surprise visit - and I do mean surprise - from his cousin Nick and his girlfriend Kim.  They got up before dawn and drove all day from Niagara Falls to be here just for the event. You guys can surprise anytime you'd like!
 
I have met some pretty awesome people in my life thanks to Alex and these women are no exception.
  
Christy - Harlie's Mom, Lynda and Michelle - Abby's Mom.
 
I really wish I could describe the feel of the day.  It's really a special day and we are so thankful that Alex gets to be part of this event.  To see the love and support of the community coming together to support these girls is overwhelming.  We are so incredibly blessed to be part of something so great.  The words "thank you" to the community, volunteers, sponsors and most of all, Lynda seem to fall short.
 
The date for next year has already been set - so mark you calendars for April 30, 2016!

No comments: