I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Sunday, January 4, 2015

We Wish You a Merry Christmas....And A Happy New Year!!

It's hard to believe the holidays are over!  I, for the first time ever, was done early this year.  I had everything purchased, wrapped and ready to go almost two full weeks before Christmas so I actually feel like I got to enjoy Christmas more than usual.   Aaron and I got to "Christmas" with a few of our friends which was really nice, we enjoyed my work party, a Christmas concert at church with my dad and the choir and really got to focus on the reason for the season.  

Christmas Eve Zach was allowed to open one present.  A few weeks before his Grandma and Grandpa from Rochester, New York sent his present here and from the time I wrapped it and put it under the tree he speculated that it was a certain pair of boots he was wanting for hunting.  When given the choice of which present to open he went right for that box.


....and much to his joy,


...he was right!  He wore those boots for the remainder of the night and when it was time for bed and I demanded that they come off, he put them right next to his bed much the same way a fireman would in case a call came in the middle of the night.



On Christmas morning when he came downstairs to inspect what Santa left...


...he was wearing them - nothing says Merry Christmas like some camouflage muck boots!


Christmas morning Zach got up at 5AM - but he knows the rules and knows he can't go downstairs, not even to peek until we get Alex up.  He tossed and turned and finally asked if he could take a shower - I guess desperate times call for desperate measures!  But like years passed, no matter how excited he is to tear into his presents, he always gets one for Alex first and helps her open it before he gets one for himself.  That always warms my heart because that is not something that we asked that he do, it's just what he does each year.


Each and every present he opened seemed to bring sheer excitement to him and it was  a pure joy to watch him open everything.  He said thank you after each present and at one point he looked at both Aaron and I and said "Wow guys, you really outdid yourselves!"  He cracks me up.


And speaking of pure joy, it was such a nice change watching Alex open her presents this year than last year.  Last year she was completely miserable after just having her leg surgery and could have cared less but this year she was so happy and excited.



One of the presents Santa brought her was a baby doll that makes kissing sounds (one of her absolute favorite noises) and says "I love you!"  I was helping Zach sort out some more presents and when I turned back around she was cradling her baby.  I had to ask Aaron if he put it in her arms like that (which he did not) because I was so surprised to see her holding it like that.  


Rudy got some presents he was really happy with and he was thrilled to be among all the chaos of the morning!  It was three years ago Santa left Rudy on our doorstep and he's such lovable, crazy part of this family!





Daddy with his loves.


And Zach with all of his loot!

I would say it was a very successful Christmas at the Hayes house - I must have had some pretty good kids this year :)


Later that afternoon we headed to my sisters house for an incredible dinner, family time and more presents :) 


And Alex was still so happy to be part of it all.



And she was still so focused and interested in her presents :) 


My silly nieces Cameron and Abigail showing off their new onesie pj's!

Dana and Shane

My Uncle Mike from New Jersey

Twila (sorry Dan - not sure why I don't have any pictures of you!)

Alex was even quite interested when the presents weren't even for her!

I think Meme likes her grandchildren plaque :) 

And I'm 100% positive Alex was content with all the love she got.


Cousins!!

When we spoke with Aaron's parents later that night they told us they were going to be driving down the next morning from Rochester and we were getting to spend the weekend with them and Aunt Helen from Albany!

And lucky for Alex - more presents!

And once again she was completely engaged.



And she loved all the attention and love from Aunt Helen!

Aunt Helen had also brought me two Christmas pieces that have been in the family for years.  I wish I would have thought to take a picture of it before I packed it away for next year, but I was so touched that she gave those to me and will treasure those pieces until it's time for me to pass them down to Zach.

Later that evening we had Mom, Dad and Uncle Mike over so everyone could see each other.

And poor Alex received no more love :) 







All of the boys - Papa, Zach, Rudy, Aaron, Uncle Mike and Papa John.

And all of the girls...Grandma Joan, Meme, Me, Aunt Helen, Alex and "baby" :) 

And everyone had a really nice time talking and visiting.





And before Papa left he traded out the butterflies over Alex's bed for her wintertime snowflakes!


Rudy made great friends with Aunt Helen


And by the end of the visit poor Rudy was exhausted from all of the excitement!

We feel so blessed that we got to spend so much time with family.  As the saying goes, it really doesn't matter what's under the tree, it matters whose around it.  It was a great Christmas and I'm so thankful for all of our family.


New Year's Eve Alex partied like a rock star...until 7PM :) 




Our friends Mesa and George came by with their girls to bring the kids presents and to say Happy New Year.  I had mistletoe hanging and Hannah wanted a mistletoe kiss with her Momma!


We tried to take a nice picture of the girls but were photo bombed :) 

Perhaps we should have done the same to the boys!

We always spend New Year's Eve with our friends Scott, Leslie and their son Jeff.  



It's a tradition we've kept going for years and this year we had our second annual New Year's Eve lantern send off.










They look so pretty when they are up in the sky and it's become a fun tradition.

So from our home to yours, we hope you had a very Merry Christmas and wish you many blessings in the coming year!



1 comment:

Susan said...

It looks like a wonderful Christmas! I love to see thankful children. Both your children are so beautiful! I wish you joy, health and happiness in 2015.