I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Oh What A Night!


Last night was the first annual River City Buddy Ball Homecoming Dance hosted by Jacob's Chance!

It was a lot of working transforming the center, but we had fun doing it!
Crazy Monique :) 


Since I was at the center all morning setting up Tammy was with Alex, so a huge thank you to Tammy for working on a Saturday and helping to get Alex ready.



Two excited girls ready for a dance!


The dance started at 5:00 and by 5:01 there were a ton of kids on the dance floor - a huge shout out to TB's Karaoke and DJ service for donating his time to DJ for our kids - if you are in the Richmond area and are in need of a DJ look him up - Tony is your man :) 

This is Alex and Matthew. Matthew asked Alex to go to the dance with him weeks ago and he matched his shirt and tie to Alex's dress!

 He was an excellent date!

I had a vision in my head of what I wanted everything to look like and while I don't think these pictures do it any justice, I was thrilled with the way everything turned out.  The dance was called An Evening of Stars and everything down to the cupcakes was star themed :) 





We had about 100 people at the dance and it was everything I hoped for and more! Alex had a fabulous time and to see the smiles on all of the kids faces was priceless.



All of the kids received a flower and a crown or tiara when they came in - they all deserved to be the King and Queens of the dance!


Alex really enjoyed dancing with Matthew!




And she had a special visit from her new teacher, Ms. Hadji :) 



It was a great night for us as a family over all - we all danced and enjoyed every minute.


 Even Grandma and Grandpa had fun!

I really can't put into words what the Buddy Ball program means to us.  I look forward to every single event we have because we are surrounded by so many amazing people.  Alex had both of her buddy's there, Mr. Steve and Mr. Fernando, both looking dapper as ever!

Alex and Mr. Steve


And Alex and Mr. Fernando

It has to be said that Mr. Fernando was scheduled to be out of town on a really great trip - and he cancelled that trip so he could be at the dance.  It is special people like Steve and Fernando that make this group the exceptional group that it is.  




There are no words needed for these pictures to see how Alex feels about her buddy - and vice versa quite frankly.


No good party would be complete without cotton candy!



 ...and face painting!



...and silly photo props



I think Alex spent more time on the dance floor than she did off!



Even Daddy danced with her!




Alex and her BFF, Jule!

When the song Happy by Pharrell Williams came on Alex got her groove on!  She was shaking her legs and waving her arms in the air like she just didn't care :)  You have no idea what seeing her so happy does for the soul!  And THAT is exactly what I wanted the whole night to be about!





So many people helped make the dance what it was - and a big part of that was Leslie - so a big huge thank you to you Leslie!

I love watching Alex and Aaron dance, I would be lying if I said it didn't make me teary eyed, every time.






The night was a huge success, and I would do it all over again tomorrow just to see this smile!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for allowing TB's Karaoke and DJ to be a part of the awesome event..
Tony

Susan said...

What an awesome looking dance! Love all the pictures of your family having fun but especially Alex. She's obviously having the time of her life!