I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

We Are Happy Again!

My happy girl is BACK! 

 
 
It is SO nice to finally have things back to 'normal', but most importantly to see her smile again.  I've missed that smile!
 
On Saturday she went to her River City Buddy Ball Game and she had a blast 'running' up and down the court - but mostly she enjoyed flirting with her boys!
 
She and Jonathan show no shame when they reach out to hold each others hands...they should probably go to OT (Occupational Therapy) as motivating factors for each other - their reaches and intent are so purposeful - I LOVE to watch them!!  Aaron will always come up to Jonathan and tell him that's HIS girl and he's keeping an eye on Jonathan and Jonathan just cracks up and laughs at him. 
 

And then there's Matthew - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how Matthew interacts with Alex.  I swear every time I capture a picture of the two of them he warms my heart.


He always makes sure she's happy and comfortable.  The world could definitely use a few more Matthews.
 

Right after Alex's game we had to head over to Zach's game.  His game Friday night was super exciting and he was psyched for Saturday's game.  It was tough on him for sure - he was poked in the eyes, hit in the nose and slammed on his knee - looked more like a wrestling match!  But he and his team did great - it was a nail biter and they won by 1 point!



Getting some sideline love from Daddy!


Cheering for her brother's team - did I mention how good it is to see her so happy again?!?


One of our family goals for the New Year is to be more active as a FAMILY - including everyone - so we've been heading to the park every weekend for some laps...



...and some Cross Fit taught by Drill Sergeant Hayes :)
 
 
...and football, lots of football.


It's been almost 6 weeks since Alex's surgery and we have been really diligent about making sure her legs are stretched.  She is supposed to sleep in her Hound Dog braces, but she refuses - and with her seizure disorder, we just can't force it - she needs her sleep.  So we put them on for a few hours a night and take them off to let her sleep.  They look really comfortable, don't they??


We've started her cage exercises again and last weekend it was so nice outside I got her out on her bike - which she was totally happy and fine with for a little bit before she drew up and I could tell it was hurting her and she started to cry.

 
I gave her a few minutes of down time and then I wanted her to take some steps in her walker - and she is clearly just not comfortable with that.

She cried and fussed the whole entire time.  I don't think it's a matter of her not being able to do it - I think she is SO nervous about putting any independent pressure on her legs.  She's been in casts and immobilizers for so long that if we try and stand her without them she completely freaks out.  I have a feeling it's going to take a l.o.n.g. time to get her to stand or walk with her walker. 


 
At therapy she screams through all of her stretches.  I think she has truly found her "I AM SO NOT HAPPY WITH YOU AT THIS POINT AND TIME" voice and she has NOT been afraid to use it!!


She actually fights so hard NOT to do what she should that she tightens up her muscles and makes things worse for herself.  We really have to retrain her and her brain how she stands and how she thinks about standing. 

We just picked up her new orthotics this week - HOPEFULLY they will help!!
 

We are supposed to have physical therapy tomorrow - but due to some SNOW, yes SNOW, we might not make it.  I hope that's not the case because I want Shannon to see her in her braces and see if we need some modifications and if Alex will actually feel comfortable standing with them since it will be a little bit of extra support - I haven't had the nerve to stand her myself in them yet!

We shall see, stay tuned! :)

No comments: