I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Friday, December 20, 2013

Still Feeling Miserable

Alex has been absolutely miserable the last few days.  Mornings are very hard for her and she wakes up crying and tends to cry all morning.  Right after surgery I noticed that her tongue was white and I just assumed it was from the anesthesia.  By Monday I mentioned it to her nurse Tammy and we've been keeping an eye on it.  It's been painful for Alex to swallow and she doesn't want to eat anything by mouth.  The last few days, despite lots of teeth brushing, her breath can knock you over from across the room - and she still has a white tongue.   I called my friend Christy whose unfortunately an expert at surgeries and anesthesia and asked her about it. I Googled it.  I've assumed it was thrush based on what it looked it but there didn't seem to be a correlation between anesthesia and thrush.    Yesterday I was talking with my neighbor and she said she's seen it happen and then I was having a conversation with someone else at Alex's school who said their son got it really bad after a tonsil and adenoid surgery.  We went to the pediatrician last night and they swabbed her for strep due to her lovely breath, but that was negative and she does have thrush.  Never a dull.  It really seems to be painful for her.  She doesn't really look good either.  She's pale, her eyes are very heavy and she's still really miserable so the doctor said she could also be fighting some kind of virus on top of everything else.  PLUS, despite using foam and gauze pads, the leg braces are rubbing parts of her skin raw - it looks terrible.  So much going on for her and she can't tell me what's hurting the most - that's the worst part of it all.  I just went and bought some mouth swabs and the pediatrician called in a prescription for the thrush so hopefully that will bring her a little bit of comfort.
 
While we were waiting for a room at the pediatrician's office we saw this tree....Alex LOVES, LOVES anything that has to do with water....this Christmas tree has a tube that runs up the middle and it has water running through it that bubbles - and then it changes colors!  I loved it....Alex loved it.
 
 

 
The doctor that bought these trees for the practice is no longer there so if anyone happens to have seen a tree like this, or knows where to get one, PLEASE send me a message!
 
In the meantime, prayers that she is feeling better for Christmas are much appreciated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prayers and {{{hugs}}} ~ Ellen

Anonymous said...

Looks like a bubble tree.

http://www.seasonalsensations.com/