I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Friday, October 25, 2013

Therapy and Orthopedics

Alex finished her intensive PT two weeks ago and I am SO impressed with how she did.  She truly, truly blew me away with how much stamina she had and just how strong she is.  I don't think, let me rephrase that, I KNOW that I wouldn't be able to go to the gym and do a HARD CORE work out for three hours a day for three solid weeks.  No way.  But she did it - and she made me so proud.
 
I love this picture of her - first of all - she is sitting up tall and straight BY HERSELF.  Secondly there's just something about her face.  I'd give anything to be inside her head right there to know what she was thinking. 
  

A few blog posts back I mentioned that I was so afraid I would have Alex hanging by the ceiling because Shannon wanted us to use our cage at home to get Alex to stand like this....
 
 
 
Well I am HAPPY to report that this is what she looks like when I'm doing therapy at home with her!
 
 
And if you compare the two pictures you will actually see that she's requiring less support from bungees and straps!  Go Beans!!
 
Here's the not so great news.  Unfortunately, Alex is still standing at 55 degree crouch.  There was some questions about her hips and if she had an upslip or not because one leg is longer than the other.  Alex has always leaned to her right side and her scoliosis was always on her right - she's now changed it up and leaning and favoring her left side.  We saw her orthopedic doctor and he says her hips look ok but he wants to do surgery on her legs.  He wants to lengthen her hamstrings and do a posterior capsulotomy (a procedure done behind the knee caps).  Her doctor said we can do therapy and brace all we want, but Alex's issues are on the inside and unless there's surgical intervention it's not going to get any better.  I have lots of reservations about the surgery based on multiple conversations and research I've done - not to mention it's a surgery and she'll have to go under anesthesia and 'be cut'.  It's a hospital stay, it's casts for 4-6 weeks after surgery (who remembers all the cast drama from the summer?) It could actually had adverse effects and make her legs weaker, I could go on an on.  So, we are going to Charlottesville in two weeks for a second opinion.  I've heard tons about this doctor and he's highly recommended - he's done a LOT of research on Alex's problem and he's not a doctor who's quick to jump to the OR.  SO.....please say a prayer that this appointment goes well and that whatever is decided will really be in Alex's best interest.  In the meantime, we're going to keep on trucking at home with her therapy and try to keep getting her stronger and stronger!


No comments: