I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Nursing

We haven't had any nursing since the beginning of August and honestly, I have to say I have loved it.  I loved not having anyone in the house, I loved just being a family, just the 4 of us. I loved not having any outside drama.  I have to say that I also loved having all that time with Alex - just me and her, one on one.  I can honestly say that I feel like she and I have bonded on a whole new level and I feel such a new closeness with her.  I have blogged numerous times about the struggles and frustrations with nursing so I wont get into that again but it definitely changes your home dynamics.   Now that Alex is back in school she needs to have a nurse.  She needs someone to facilitate every aspect of her life whether it is positioning her, medicating her, changing her, feeding her, entertaining her, whatever it is she needs.  I can't be with her 24/7 so I have to depend and trust that someone can competently do that when I can't be with her.  Someone who will love her with all her silly quirks and loud happy squeals, someone who wants to be her 'buddy'.   We have met some pretty amazing people because of Alex and it's so hard to say good-bye when the time comes, for whatever the reason.  And some separations are amicable while others are not and that in itself can be very emotional and draining.  Nursing is supposed to make our lives easier, but sometimes it does just the opposite.  And I just have to wonder what Alex thinks when people that have been in her life caring for her just disappear one day.   From the time Alex was 3 until she was 9 she had the same nurse, Ms. Audretta, and we were so sad to see her leave just about 3 years ago (http://ourlifewithalex.blogspot.com/2010/11/big-loss.html).  We have always kept in touch and I'm so happy to report that she's come back to work some for us.  She isn't Alex's full time nurse, but she's working a set schedule for us and we were all SO happy to see her again!  Zach made this sign for her and hung it up before she got to the house.... 
 

...and Alex kept looking at her as if to say "well it is about time woman, where have you been?!?"

....and they picked up on some of their old routines like no time had passed at all!

Alex's new full time nurse, Tammy, has jumped right in and is forming a really nice bond with Alex.  I like to think Alex is a really good  judge of character and she loves to stare at Tammy and and is constantly trying to hold her hand.  I love this picture of them celebrating Alex's last day of intensive physical thearpy....I think both of their faces says it all! : )

Here's to hoping we have a great, long lasting relationship that just continues to grow and flourish!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Love it. Love her. Love you.

Fat Dormouse said...

Donna, I came across your blog by accident, just surfing and following links from one blog to another. It was really interesting to read back over all that you do for your lovely girl Alex, and your gorgeous boy Zack. You must be so proud of them both - they are a credit to you & your husband.

I worked with children with special needs at the beginning of my teaching career - I know a tiny tiny bit about how exhausting it can be. Yet you are so upbeat and positive! What a wonder woman!

I wish you & your family all the very best as you grow together. God bless you.