I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

First Swim Meet and My Melt Down!

Last Sunday was the first swim meet of the season.  It was the Sunday Aaron had gotten home from his golf trip and he got home about an hour before we had to be at the meet.  To say it was a fire drill getting everything ready and getting everyone out of the house would be understatement!  I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off and  must have asked Zach 15 times to pack his bag, go to the bathroom and get ready.  I had made him lunch and he was whining that he wasn't hungry and didn't want to eat.  I told him 5 times he needed to eat so he would have the strength to swim, but after 30 minutes of his grumbling, I was frazzled, gave up and said fine - don't eat - but don't you dare ask for anything from the snack bar when we get there!!!  By the time we got on the road we were already running about 10 minutes behind and that stressed me out.  When we got to the pool (it was an away meet so it wasn't at our pool) we realized the pool had two levels - and the meet pool was DOWN two deep flights of stairs.  Clearly that wasn't going to be an option for Alex!  Without going into a lot of detail it was a pretty big debacle getting Alex down to the meet pool and I was fuming mad about how the situation was handled and frustrated beyond words.  And it was hot.  And I was miserable.  And Alex was miserable.  She was mad too - she wouldn't stop biting herself or pulling her hair.   I had found a seat that was somewhat shaded and was getting Alex's medicine out of her bag when a teenager just came over and sat right in my spot.  Ok, maybe he left me a quarter of an inch to sit, but it was pretty obvious that I was in the middle of doing something and he just plopped himself down.  So I was already fuming mad and that certainly didn't help!!!  And Alex was still mad, and she was still pulling her hair and she was still biting herself and it was still hot! 
 
I was trying to get her settled when one of the Mom's came up and asked me where Zach was because he was swimming the first relay.  And he was no where to be found...why you ask?!?  Because he didn't listen to me before we left the house and he was in the bathroom!!!  Insert scream here. 
 
He managed to get back just in time.
 
 
First relay of the season!
Waiting patiently for his team mate to make it to the end of the pool!
And he's off!


Back to Alex.  It's time for her to eat.  And I'm trying to manage and maneuver around in my quarter inch spot because apparently it's nice to be a teenager and live in a pretty oblivious world.  And Alex was still mad, and she was still pulling her hair and she was still biting herself and it was still hot! My attempts at feeding her where futile and she was pushing the spoon away and spilling food everywhere and trying to pull her hair and push me out of her way at the same time.  I am now beyond exasperated!  Insert louder scream here.
 
Time for Zach to swim the free-style heat.  Same Mom comes looking for Zach.  And I can't find him. Why you ask?!?  Because his dad has taken him TO THE SNACK BAR!!!!!!!!  INSERT EVEN LOUDER SCREAM HERE!!!  By the time he came casually walking back with his chocolate chip cookie and his bag of chips - you know lunch of champions, I lost it and yelled at him.  And Alex was still mad, and she was still pulling her hair and she was still biting herself and it was still hot!  And I finally looked at her and yelled STOP, JUST STOP! 
 
Oh imagine what a train wreck I looked like screaming at both of my children!!  I can laugh about it now, but man oh man it was not pretty.  I hardly ever loose my patience with Alex.  I really don't.  I know she can't help it.  But I am human after all - and she was still mad, and she was still pulling her hair and she was still biting herself and it was still hot and combined with all of the other events of the afternoon I just couldn't take it!  Of course, after the fact, I felt HORRIBLE about it.  :(

Luckily Aaron was nice and calm.

Doesn't look like Zach was too phased either, huh??
 
Adjusting his goggles getting ready to swim free-style.
One last pep talk from his coach.
One last look back to make sure we were watching (I love this picture)
On your mark, Get Set....
Go!
He came in second but had a great qualifying time! 

I don't look like a crazy deranged lady do I?!?  Zach still looks like he loves me, doesn't he?!?

Even after taking Alex out of her wheel chair and letting her stretch out, she was still mad, and she was still pulling her hair and she was still biting herself and it was still hot!  We finally decided enough was enough and packed it up and called it a day.  We left Zach with our friends Scott and Leslie so he could swim his final heat - which was the backstroke and he came in fourth. 

The second we got Alex in the car, she was a very happy camper.  Sigh. 

So, hopefully people who don't know me and have never seen me interact with my children don't think I'm a crazy, deranged, mean ole mom.  Hopefully they realized everyone just has one of those days!!  I'm THANKFUL though that they are very far and few between!!

1 comment:

Ann said...

Hi Donna - I'm a cyber-friend of Christy's and the founder of The Willow Tree Foundation.

I just wanted to chime in and say "I get it". I SO get it. People just can't understand what an undertaking it is to get out the door with a special needs child, along with our typical children. We start out overwhelmed - because we are always overwhelmed. It really doesn't take much to push us over the edge. I empathize with you and it hurts my heart that you had to leave the meet early.

Anyway, for what it's worth, you have a friend out here in cyberland who understands.

Hugs and thanks for ordering a necklace from Willow Tree.

xoxo
Ann