I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Aqua Therapy

Because life isn't busy enough with all of the therapy and doctor appointments already in place and running from here to there like a crazy lady, I went ahead and decided to add one more therapy to the calendar :)
 
Alex LOVES water - loves anything that has to do with water - washing dishes, hysterical, bath time, crazy, pool - even crazier, etc.  Trying to handle Alex in the water is like trying to nail jello to a tree.  It's pretty much impossible.  She just gets so excited and the bigger she gets, the harder it is to control her from squirming every which way to Sunday, screaming so loud your ears ring for days, ripping her hair out and pinching you in those ever so sensitive spots, like the backside of your arm, as well as trying to keep her from sticking her hands in her mouth.  Good mental picture yet?  Because her tone is so low in her trunk we can't use typical tubes or floats, she goes face first right into the water.  We've been desperately searching for the last two years for a way to securely get her in the water and not have to physically hold her.  No luck.  If anyone knows of anything, by all means please leave a comment!  After about an hour in the pool you can't help but be exhausted.  It's really not a relaxing day at the pool!
 
I've wanted to do aquatic therapy with Alex for years.  I wanted to combine something she loves with something she doesn't like so much.  And I figured if she was preoccupied with being in the pool, maybe she wouldn't realize she was actually working at the same time.  We found a therapist and last week we had our first session.  It's an indoor pool, and the facility actually has a therapy pool.

 
 And....it even has a lift to get her into  the pool.



And here is the coolest thing EVER - they have treadmills - UNDER water!  How crazy is that?!?



So we met with Sally, the Occupational Therapist, who runs the program.  Alex was excited at first, and Sally got a few pinches that I'm sure left a mark the next day but then she started doing some Tai Chi movements with her and I swear it was like she was the "Alex Whisperer!"
 
Just look at how calm and relaxed she is!





Alex's knees and hamstrings get VERY tight.  She keeps her knees completely bent and trying to get her to stand with straight legs is impossible.  She was so relaxed in the pool it made it easy to be able to work with her legs.



We tried a few of the floatation devices that were readily available, but you can really tell even in the pictures that they just don't hold her up enough to allow you any freedom to not have to constantly hold her up.





 
As of right now the therapy is not covered by insurance.  That is supposed to change soon and if it doesn't I will have to reevaluate, but for now I I look at it this way....Zach gets to participate in sports, he gets music lessons, he gets to go to fun places and enjoy doing things that kids his age love to do.  I take Zach to Target - and it's Mom, can I have....[insert request of the AISLE here], at the grocery store, Mom, can I have....[again, insert request of the AISLE here]...Mom, can we go to McDonalds, Mom, can we go get ice cream, Mom, can we.....you get the point.  Alex can't ever ask for anything for herself, and I KNOW she is truly enjoying herself - so not only is it potentially going to help her but it makes me feel good taking her because I know she's happy. 
 
Just look at that happiness!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Water is magic. Thanks for sharing your story. Are you on FB? Would love to see more.

Lee Salzman
Aquatic Therapy University
www.facebook.com/atuniversity