I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Friday, May 10, 2013

The Little Feet Meet

Two weeks ago was the Special Olympics Little Feet Meet.  NORMALLY, this is one of my most favorite days of the year.  We have participated for the last four years, ever since our most favorite home school teacher Miss Katie told us about it, and I have loved it.  This year it had a totally different feel.  I don't know if it was because it was on the heels of the Boston tragedy or what.  It was organized differently, the high school kids that are involved were not as excited this year - normally one of the high school kids are assigned to a group - we didn't have one with our group.  I still love the concept, I love what it means for our kids, I love that they get to shine and be super stars and have people cheer and clap for them - I'm sad it had a different feel. Alex was really unhappy too so that probably just added to it!
 
I don't think that I've mentioned that I went back to work in December.  I'm working for an AWESOME medical staffing company and I couldn't be happier.  We are a four person office and my bosses rock - it takes a special group of people to want to hire me knowing what all comes with me!!  They've visited Alex in the hospital and they came out that morning to cheer Alex on.
 
Scott, James, Me, Aaron, my niece Emily, Zach and of course Alex, looking as happy as ever...NOT :)

My co-worker Angel showed up to cheer her on too!


No matter how hard we tried we could not get her smiling for any pictures...and that is NOT like her!

The night before I made this shirt for Zach....





He ABSOLUTELY loved it!! 

And wore it proudly!

Emily loved that she got one of Alex's shirts from last year and was able to support her cousin too!


Alex got LOTS of love and attention, but she still wasn't  happy! 



Every athlete needs a little hydration before and event!!




I tried talking to Alex and getting her to smile and be happy about being there.

Clearly you can tell by the look on her face she didn't care what I had to say!  It was a really overcast, gloomy day so maybe that had something to do with it!

 
Instead of wheeling her in her wheelchair for the 25 Meter race, we took her out of her chair and had her "walk" it like we did last year.
 

 I LOVE this picture someone caught of my mom....THAT'S what I love about Special Olympics!!!

Something close to a smile when Daddy was congratulating her!


And, finally, when she got her ribbon, she was happy! 

I'm looking forward to next year and hoping it's as awesome as ever!

No comments: