I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Happy Birthday....

Saturday was my birthday.  Normally I LOVE celebrating my birthday - in fact, I usually make it a week long event!  Today, however, is Aaron's 40th birthday so I had no plans to really celebrate - in fact, up until last week, I hadn't even thought much about it.
 
On Wednesday I got the best early birthday present.  I got a call from the geneticist - we got the green light for Alex to have the atypical testing we were praying for.  The insurance company agreed to pay for the testing.  What better gift could I have asked for?!?
 
We made arrangements for her to have her blood drawn at MCV - her blood has to be sent to the University of Chicago and there are specific handling instructions.  When the geneticist and I spoke she arranged for Alex's blood draw to be the following day (Thursday)  at 3PM.  When we got there and checked in the lady at the desk said she thought there was going to be a problem.  Alex's blood had to be shipped within 24 hours at room temperature and the courier had already picked up for the day and because of the holiday weekend there would be no pick up on Friday. I was a bit miffed, obviously.  Normally I don't outwardly say things when I'm mad - I have to say, the older I get the worse I'm getting about that!  So I said that information would have been nice to know before I drove 40 minutes to get there - and according to my nurse I said it loud enough for everyone in the waiting room to look over my way.  Oops. To make a long story short the lab in Chicago said they could keep her blood refrigerated until Tuesday and ship it then.  I wasn't really happy with that answer either but they assured me it would not skew her results.  In my head I'm also thinking this is going to add another week on to the two months we already have to wait for the results!  I know these two months are going to feel like forever. And even though we've waited this long - it's still nerve racking!!  We were called back and her phlebotomist was GREAT - she got the blood on the first stick and we were literally done and on our way within minutes.  Anyway - this isn't what this post is supposed to be about!  I guess you could say Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield gave me an early birthday present with authorizing the testing.
 
Here's my sweet girl after her draw.  
 

 
Thursday I was sitting at my desk at work when I received this beautiful delivery from my husband.  It was such a sweet surprise and I love that he did for that me - especially that he sent them early so I could enjoy them longer.
 

 
My girlfriend Christy received a necklace a year or so back and I have loved it ever since she showed it to me.  Not only do I love the story behind it - I love that it also helps a good cause.  This year I decided I was going to buy myself a birthday present so I ordered myself the necklace - and it was delivered Thursday!
 

 
The necklace has a willow tree in the middle and around it it says "ever bending l never breaking". 
 
The story of the necklace is this:
 
The willow tree is a relatively small tree without much of a trunk. Its branches are long and bending and give the appearance of being weak and fragile. Yet, when the storm rages it is the willow tree that stands strong. Under the earth the roots of the willow tree run long and wide; these roots hold the willow tree in place during the attacks from the violent winds. The deceptive branches are also a strength for the willow tree. Without a large trunk the willow tree branches are long and pliable.  During the raging storm, the branches move and stretch with the wind. Ever bending, never breaking.
Much like the willow tree, parents of medically fragile children weather the storm and persist despite the significant emotional, physical and financial challenges they face in caring for their children. Over time, these unrelenting burdens can drain a parent's strength and stamina. The Willow Tree Foundation was established to provide moments of calm in the storm by providing respite opportunities for parents so they can continue to bend, not break, and stay strong like the willow tree. 
 
The Willow Tree Foundation provides parents of medically fragile children with respite opportunities through activities that allow parents to take "time-out" from the unrelenting demands associated with their child's care so that they can maintain their stamina and sense of perspective and continue to meet the intense medical needs of their child.
 
So not only did I get something I've wanted and love, it helps an awesome cause.  AND - it comes in a really cute bag too :)  Here's a link to the Willow Tree Foundation - http://thewillowtreefoundation.org/.
 
 

Friday I got to work any my co-workers had mimosas, pastries, balloons and presents in the conference room to celebrate my birthday. 

 
Friday night our friends Scott and Leslie took Aaron and I out to dinner to celebrate both of our birthdays.  They took us to Accanto and the meal was awesome!   
 
Filet over risotto and shrimp and red pepper risotto....so delicious.
 
Aaron's chicken dish was chicken breast stuffed with prosciutto and mozzarella and dusted with panko bread crumbs...think he liked it?!? :)

 
 
 
Saturday I got to sleep in late and then Aaron brought Alex in to lay in bed with me while he and Zach brought me coffee and gifts.  I enjoyed a nice morning at home with all of my loves and I especially loved the card Zach made for me:
 
 
 He did the Mommy words all by himself with no help - which I think is pretty impressive.
 
Saturday night we went to dinner with my parents, Dana and Scott and Leslie.  Again - awesome food, but even better company.

The best hot brownie and vanilla ice cream with a candle in it!
 
 
 
 
Considering I was planning on taking a back seat this year, my birthday was pretty fantastic!  (And now I need a crash diet!)

Today Leslie struck again and left this in the yard for Aaron (and the whole neighborhood) to see :)  When we had gone out over the weekend we were trying to get a good picture of him to use so we started being silly and snapped this picture of him saying he was going to be 40...obviously he didn't expect to see it in the front yard!!  There were other balloons that didn't make it through the night unfortunately! 


We were supposed to have dinner out tonight with my parents, but unfortunately Aaron got sick today with a stomach bug :(  Seriously?  Not a fun birthday for him.  He came home from work early and spent his afternoon in bed. 
 
He came down long enough to open his presents from Zach.
 
He got a great card from him too...(love some of the spelling!!)

And he humored me while we sang Happy Birthday to him.

He let Zach blow the candles out while he pretended so he didn't share his germs :(

 
And then he went back to bed :(  We are celebrating this weekend so I hope he feels better by then.

Happy birthday Aaron - I'm sorry you were sick, but on your 40th birthday I hope you feel as loved and special as you make me feel every day.  XOXO

No comments: