I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Seizure Alarm

For 5 months I have waited for this little box!  5 MONTHS!
 
 

But boy oh boy am I happy!!!  This is Alex's new MedPage MP5 seizure alarm system!!



This is the sensor that goes underneath her mattress and connects to the piece above with the knobs. The knobs allow you to select the levels of sensitivity for movement and noise.  There are 2 separate pagers so we can keep one in our bedroom and the other downstairs.  There are three settings for the alarm which is nice too. 
 

We put the sensor in between her mattress and had Zach lay in her bed and simulate her convulsions in all different areas of her bed.  It works SO great.  I don't want to say it was worth the wait because I'm not that happy about how long it took to get to us, but definitely happy with the product.   

You can see the cord coming out of her bed here and it sits on the chest just outside her bed.


Unfortunately we got to see just how well it works all weekend.  This morning she had three seizures so the first alarm was 4:15AM, then 5:00AM then again at 5:30AM - I'm SO thankful to finally have this for more peace of mind, but it definitely is not a fun sound to wake up to.

We are scheduled to go in the hospital on January 28th back to the EMU (Epilepsy Monitoring Unit) for a few days.  Her seizures are becoming far more frequent and her medicine combinations are not working at this point.   There are several new things she's doing now when she is awake that we are questioning if they are seizures.  At this point, my thinking is that they will change her medications while we are there too since her levels aren't keeping her maintained and the increase of what she is currently on isn't an option based on the reactions she had over Christmas.  It sounds odd to say I'm looking forward to being in the hospital, but I think I am really relieved to be going because there are so many questions that need to be answered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog. Your daughter is so much like mine - it's amazing. Her name is Allieand she is 11. We've been seeking a diagnosis all these years, and finally found a doc who thinks she is on to it. Likely Rett Syndrome. Which Allie was tested for years ago - and negative. This doc says there is a new, much better test available. We're waiting for results now. Maybe something to consider? Love the great attitude of your entire family!