I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Buddy Ball!

Two Sunday's ago Zach had an early Saturday basketball game.  When we walked in there was already a game in progress.  I was trying to get Alex straight so I didn't realize for the first few minutes that it was a Buddy Ball game.  If you don't know, Buddy Ball is a program designed for children ages 5-21 with intellectual and/or physical challenges.  If the players need one, a buddy is assigned to them to help assist them play the game.  The whole time we were watching everyone was smiling.  Even the typical kids waiting for their game to start were clapping and cheering for the kids playing.  I was kicking myself for not thinking about it and signing Alex up.  One of Aaron's co-workers has a son on the team and he also happens to be the coach, so he told us that we should bring Alex for the next game and she could play.
 
So this Saturday, it was quite the fire drill getting everyone out of the house, but Alex went to her first basketball game - and all I can say is that it was AMAZING.  The love and energy that was in that gym is just indescribable. 
 
Since it was the last game before the Christmas break, the kids got a special visit from Santa.  And oh my goodness some of the children were just beside themselves - like Alex's friend Jonathan! 
 
 
 
The kids got to sit on Santa's lap and then got candy canes  Alex was the last to go - and she just stared at him!
 
Whoops - notice her hand in Santa's beard?!? 
 
 
 And notice how Santa is now holding her hand?  Yep, only my kid tried to rip his beard off :)
 
And then she wanted to kiss him.
 
Zach was so excited that she got a jersey.
 
Game time....she LOVED being run up and down the court.  And the more claps and cheers the bigger her smile got.
 
 
Quite a few times she and her buddy actually got the ball!
 
 
This was her buddy for the game, Davis.  He was so sweet with her - and oh so polite too!
 
 
Since Alex is quite the flirt, I think she really enjoyed all of the boys on the court the most.  She literally smiled the whole time. 
 
 
 
The head of the buddy ball program gave Alex her Princess Santa hat...and as we all know, she is quite the Princess, so she wore it well :)
 
 
 
 
This is her friend Matthew giving her a hug when the game was over.  Matthew was one of the first people to come and greet her when we were there for Zach's game.  Matthew said Alex was quite pretty and he thought she should be on his team.
 

 
It was truly an awesome morning.  I loved every single second of it and I had a smile on my face the entire day.  It's an event I think everyone should try and experience at least once whether you have a special needs child or not. 



Alex had a great time and I can't wait till the holiday break is over and the games resume!


 
....this smile says it all!!!
 

1 comment:

E Rabke said...

I was wondering about the Buddy Ball! When will it start up again or is in only during the fall/winter? I know Anna Cate would love it! I love this post! Thanks for sharing!!!! Merry Christmas my friend!