I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Piano Recital

Lots to catch up on but I'll start with last Sunday.  Zach's been taking piano lessons since September and he really enjoys it.  Last Sunday he had his very first recital.




I had a BAD night with Alex the night before and I was already feeling kind of deflated.  I had a 'chat' with her and told her that this was a big day for Zach, how he's always going to all of her events and supporting her, not to mention being dragged to all of her doctor/therapy appointments.  So I told her that she had to be a good girl, no yelling or screaming, just be the big girl that she is......

Yeah, right.

As SOON, and I mean as soon as the recital started she started her happy screaming.  And she is LOUD.  We were one of the first people to arrive but we opted to sit in the last row, just in case...  And the way the room was set up as soon as the doors opened you were staring at the audience with the pianos and harps to the right.  So of course I had to take her out the second the recital started.  And I was NOT happy with her! - and I told her so too!!!  I knew Zach was 12th in the program so I was listening outside the doors for when he would be next.  I took Alex out of her wheel chair and went back in, yes, with everyone looking at us as we came back in!  Sat back down and as soon as I did she looked right dead in my eyes and started laughing and then screamed again....UGH, that girl!!!  I held my hand over her mouth while Zach was playing and as soon as he was done Aaron had to take her right back out again - YES, back in front of the whole audience, AGAIN.  Ahh, sometimes my life is so grand. 

The WORST part was that about 15 seconds into Zach's performance our video camera DIED.  I tried uploading one of his practice videos here but that didn't work so I'll have to figure that out!  I could not wait to just have that part of the day over and head home.  And of course, that made me feel bad that I was rushing away a memory that was important to Zach - and to me - he's worked REALLY hard on learning his pieces.  And the Director of the academy made some comment like, now everyone go and celebrate by getting ice cream or doing something fun like that - and that just made me feel terrible because of course, we weren't heading out to do anything fun like that to celebrate his first recital. 

I told Zach how incredibly proud of him we were and that I was sorry about Alex yelling....to which he responded...."Mom, it's okay, Sissy's special and that's just what she does."  I wish I could just bottle up all the feelings I have when he says stuff like to me.  It's very humbling to take life lessons from your 7 year old.  Guess maybe I'm doing something right with him after all, lol! :)

1 comment:

moxie3 said...

You are doing everything RIGHT with both of your children! I love you and am so proud of you!