I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Spring Break

I know a lot of my friends were very happy that Spring Break was over this week and the kids were back at school ~ I was not one of those people!  Maybe it's because I work and school mornings are CRAZY trying to get the kids out the door so I can get ready and leave for work.  On holidays and breaks, it's SO much easier for me!  Plus, we had a really fun week.  We went out to dinner, for ice cream, Zach had two sleep overs, we went to the movies, we went ROLLER SKATING - something I haven't done in over 20 years!  That was a LOT of fun :)  Friday we spent the entire day at Busch Gardens - I have a pedometer on my phone and according to that we walked over 11 miles at the park.  We really had a fun week.

The kids both had dentist appointments last week as well.  Zach has his first cavity.  Bummer.  Not only does he need a filling, but he needs a crown as well.  It seems kind of crazy to me to crown a baby tooth, but according to the dentist it's not a tooth he will loose until he's around 10 and he needs that tooth to stay in so his teeth continue to grow and space the way they should.  Zach was SO upset when she said the word cavity. 

Alex is going to have to be sedated to have some work done.  Anytime she needs anesthesia it's worrisome because of her neurological state.  Unfortunately she can't have her teeth cleaned like you and I can because she's an aspiration risk, so they typically do the best they can and that's that.  But, because Alex doesn't chew her food, and she drools a lot, the plaque and tartar build up on her teeth, especially her front bottom teeth, is getting pretty bad.  She also has three teeth that need to be pulled, and they've never been able to get x-rays on her.  Overall the dentist said she should be under a little over an hour, IF the anesthesiologist feels it's safe for her to have it done out patient at Children's Hospital.  We took her yesterday to the pediatrician to have him give her a pre-op clearance but the anesthesiologist will still talk to her neurologist for the final OK.  If he feels like she's too much of a risk, she'll have to go inpatient at MCV. 

Today we're off to the orthopedic doctor, never a dull!  I'll post more about that later.

No comments: