I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Friday, April 20, 2012

2012 Little Feet Meet!

Today was an AWESOME day!!  The Special Olympics' "The Little Feet Meet " was this morning and this is the fourth year in a row Alex has participated.  It's SUCH a feel good day and a day that makes me feel so proud.  This morning on the news we saw that there was a bomb threat called into the school where the event was taking place.  I honestly have to ask who would do something like that??  This is such a special day for the special needs community, I just can't believe someone could be so evil to try and ruin that.  They didn't ruin it though, it was the best one yet.  Other than a tennis ball throwing event, this was the first year Alex was out of her chair for the remaining events and one of her ribbon awards.  We helped her do a long jump and she did the 25 meter race again, but this is the first year she WALKED it and didn't have anyone pushing her in her chair!!!!!  There were SO many people cheering her on and clapping and whistling for her - and she KNEW it!  She was smiling the whole time and she was taking amazing steps.  I really can't explain how fantastic it felt helping her across the finish line!  Aaron was there to see her participate in her events and he was also part of the team of officers who helped with the torch.  Zach thought it was so cool that his Dad was part of the events too.  Again, it was just an awesome day all around!

I'm so thankful for my parents, Dana, Tabitha and Travis for sharing the day with us.  I truly love this event every year and how it makes me feel as Alex's mom - and this year was no exception!


1 comment:

Christy said...

So sweet! Love, love, LOVE that last pic of Alex!!! And it's so awesome to think of her walking this year! I wish we were there to see her!