I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Gift of Time

 “Time ~ the most precious gift one can give. Each moment is unique because it will never happen again…the gift of your time spent with others is the ultimate display of unconditional love.”

Robert W. Merriweather

Back at Christmas time Dana and I decided that we didn't need anything and to exchange just for the formality of it would be wasteful.  So I decided to give her the best gift I could think of....time.  I made her a certificate that entitled us to spend an entire day together doing whatever we wanted to be followed by an evening stay at a local hotel.  Just her and I, no kids, no interruptions!

Her son was flying to New York this weekend to be with his dad so she asked if we would could cash in our girl time certificate.  I checked with Aaron, cleared our schedule and we made a plan.   We decided we both do enough running around during the week that we just wanted LAZY time...I don't know who was more excited about just doing 'nothing'!!

It's been a long time since I had such a relaxing time.  We went out and had an awesome lunch, stocked up on some provisions for the hotel and went back to the hotel and talked and talked...threw in some mindless TV and then got ready to go out to dinner.  We enjoyed an awesome band and talked and talked some more. 

My favorite part...I got to SLEEP...A LOT!!!  We got up Sunday morning, had some breakfast, watched some more mindless TV and took a NAP...oh how I wish I could incorporate one of those into my every day life!!! 

I'm so thankful for my best friend - someone who knows me inside and out - someone I can be totally comfortable with just sitting in silence, someone who never judges me and just loves me for who I am - the good and the bad!


And it goes without saying that I'm VERY thankful to my husband who recognizes the fact that sometimes I just need a break and allows to me to decompress.  He was QUITE happy to see me walk in the door though and promptly declared I was 'back on duty'!

1 comment:

Christy said...

Sounds awesome! I'm so glad you were able to do that. I might just have to copy that idea..