I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

New year, new design...it only took me 5 months to do it! :)

Since Alex has been so sick we had a nice New Year's Eve at the house with some friends.  We had planned on taking the kids out for a fun activity and then coming back to the house for some festivities, but there was no way Alex was going anywhere.

My friend Leslie bought all of these signs you can use as props when taking pictures - believe me when I say we had a BALL with them!  And so did the kids....


Dana, Me, Leslie and Mesa

And Leslie also brought over fun hats and glasses!

Zach and Daddy....who was NOT feeling well at all!


The Morris Family:
Scott, Jeff, Leslie and Muffy's boyfriend Fred!

Alex had been running a fever for ten days...and pretty much all she was doing was sleeping.  She was asleep at 4:30 on New Year's Eve so we were all VERY happy when she woke up and came to join us for a little bit AND we even got a smile.


Scott, Dana and Aaron

Scott, Leslie, Me and Aaron


This is the third year in a row (I think) that we've had New Year's Eve at home and I honestly LOVE ringing in the New Year with wonderful friends and our kids.

Happy New Year!!!

We got up pretty early on New Year's Day and Alex was just miserable.  It was day eleven of running a fever and she was crying all morning.  The pediatrician had said it was just a virus but she was clearly in pain and I just felt so bad for her.  I was so concerned that she had pneumonia or the flu so we headed to the ER. 

Alex has never shown any signs indicating she knew when she was in the hospital, but as soon as we got there she started crying, when they put us in the room and she saw all the equipment, she started crying, when they pulled the hospital gown out, she started crying....I guess cognitively that's a great sign, but I don't want her to be scared or upset when we have to go either. 

This was not how I wanted to start the New Year! 

They ran a ton of tests and took a lot of blood to make sure she didn't have a bacterial infection - despite being on Motrin she was still running a 101.4 temperature and had a rash on her chest.  They took x-rays to make sure she didn't have pneumonia, took urine to make sure she didn't have a urinary tract infection and did the dreaded flu swab up her nose.  At one point she had two IV lines in her hands - and she was NOT a happy camper with all of the poking and prodding they did.  Her white blood count was elevated, but other than a blood culture that would take 72 hours to complete, they couldn't find a reason why.

Fast forward to yesterday and she is FINALLY fever free and getting back to her happy, eating self!

No comments: