I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Diversity Means...

Every year Zach's school participates in the Reflections Program, which is a voluntary project based on a different theme every year. The children create a personal interpretation of the theme using a variety of choices (art, music, dance, poems, etc.).  This year's theme was Diversity Means...and Zach wanted to participate.  I asked him what Diversity meant, and he said "different" - so I asked him what he wanted his project to be and he said he wanted to take pictures to show "how different Sissy is".  I'm so proud of him.  He followed Alex around for weeks with a camera (he was so funny, he'd tell her - "work it girl")...in the end, he created this:


Along with the pictures he had to include an "artistic statement" and he wrote:

"Diversity means different".  My sister can't walk or talk, she has a special tube in her belly to help her eat.  My sister is very special.  She is diverse.  I love her a lot."

The concept and delivery was all his and I know I already said it, but I'm so proud of him and how he looks at his sister.

2 comments:

Christy said...

I am so impressed! He did an awesome job! It was so great seeing you this weekend. Thank you so much for coming!

~Christy xo

Many Kinds of Families said...

That is awesome!!! What a great young man! You must be very proud of both of your amazing children. I'm a new reader and enjoy your blog!