I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Very Busy Week!

I started to blog last week and, well....

It was a busy week to say the least!  Physical Therapy, Speech Therapy, Neurology Appointment, my birthday, Aaron's birthday, swim team practice started, Memorial Day weekend....

So here's how the blog post started last week....Yesterday was another really great physical therapy session for Alex.  Shannon put knee immobilizers on her and had her standing, at some points all by herself!  You could clearly see in her face that she knew when she was loosing her balance and about to fall - she clutched her hands to her chest and made a face like Uh-Oh!  So cognitively, that's a great thing.  I took videos of her, but I took them with my phone camera and they are sideways...bummer!

At speech therapy they used kinesio tape on her lips to basically make her more aware of her lips and strengthening...and guess what?!?  SHE SUCKED FROM A STRAW!!!  Had total lip closure and sucked...very exciting stuff.  All weekend she has been grabbing the squeeze bottle we use to feed her pediasure and out of my hands and has been sucking on the straw. 

Friday we had follow-up with neurology.  Her blood work came back fine and she was actually a little bit below therapeutic level.  We were giving her 2.5ml's of Depakote three times a day, but the Dr. switched us to 4ml's, twice a day.  Over all she seems to be doing really well on the medicine...knock on wood.

That's all  I have time for right now, will hopefully do a better job of keeping up this week!

No comments: