I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Benefit

I don't even have words to begin to say how incredible of an evening Saturday night was. I've attempted to write this post five times and still it doesn't seem to do the night justice.  Over 400 people turned out to support Alex and the benefit and it was a HUGE success.  The mayor of Niagara Falls was there and spoke, the mayor of Lewiston was there and gave Alex a key to the city and a proclamation that March 19th would be Alexandra Elizabeth Hayes Day (don't think it's not on our calendar's next year for a party!).  The Chief of Police along with the Sheriff were there.  The newspaper was there.  There were over 200 baskets that were donated along with bigger ticket items like a TV, bike, trip, hockey video game machine, autographed sports memorabilia and on and on.  There was a 10 foot banner with a picture of our family on it.  T-shirts were made with Alex's beautiful face on them, video of pictures of her were playing throughout the night.  There was an amazing band.  Uncle Louie and his team made incredible food, a special cake was made for Alex.  There were home made angels on each table as centerpieces.  It was overwhelming.  I can say it was an incredible evening a million times and it still wouldn't come close to describing our emotions.

I have said it before and will continue to, I can guarantee it, but we are SO incredibly blessed with an amazing family.  Uncle Louie is the kindest, sweetest, most generous man, who put hundreds of hours into planning this event and doesn't even want a "Thank You".  He truly is a one of a kind and there are no words we could put in print that could describe our admiration, respect and gratitude for him. 

Thank you Uncle Louie and Aaron's mom, Beverly, who also did SO SO much for us, thank you to Aunt Barbara and the committee for the long hours you put into planning an amazing event, thank you to our friends and family who were, and are always, there to support us.  Thank you to each and every person who bought raffle tickets for the benefit and to the people of Western New York for making the benefit such an incredible success.  The love and support that embraced us that night is a blessing that we will treasure...forever.

There was a professional photographer there so I did not get a lot of pictures (I know, me...imagine that!) - but I will post more when I receive them!




The home made cake with one of the angel centerpieces

The T-shirts

The Guest of Honor with her Daddy

Beverly and the raffle drawing

A portion of the baskets that were donated
 

Alex's proclamation and key to the city

4 comments:

Debbie said...

How awesome!!! You are blessed with a beautiful family!

moxie3 said...

Donna, I can not believe it!! What a glorious evening...all for sweet Allie Bean! The number of baskets is amazing! We are in California now but let's get together when I get home (After Apr 2).

PS: I did not see a single typo or error in your wonderful story!!! You know I have to always check everything I read!! Love you, Cheryl

Marie said...

Donna, it looked like a beautiful benefit, just like your daughter...You have so much strength and its for our children all that we do . Alex is one lucky little girl to have so many loving people around her...God Bless..

Jenni said...

I have been waiting for this post. I can't wait to see the profession pictures.

Thank you to everyone that made this event a reality. You guys ROCK! Then again Sissy is the bomb so who wouldn't go all out for her!