I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Let's See...

Piggy backing my last post - here's some updates. The birthday party on Saturday - didn't happen. Well, the party did, Alex just wasn't there. She started with some low grade fevers on Friday and was miserable all weekend. Not only was she miserable, but she was completely emotional, all she did was cry. Alex is not a crier, so when she puckers out her bottom lip and cries it's really heartbreaking to see her like that. I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I'm sure I'll repeat myself in many posts to come, but the hardest part about having a non-verbal child is knowing she is clearly hurting and she can't tell me what's wrong. There's only so many guesses I can make and so much Tylenol I can give. I tried Sunday to take her to church thinking that getting her out of the house might do her good and seeing her Papa might lift her spirits...not so much. Papa sat and rocked her the entire service and she laid there dazing while her cries continued. Monday it finally hit me what I "think" the problem might be. Let's see if I can put this tactfully....(thinking, thinking, thinking), ok there's no tactful way to say it - she can't poop. I said in my last post that she was drinking 2-3 ounces of thickened pedisure from her squeeze bottle - I think the thick-it that we are using to thicken the liquids is thickening everything. I had to give her two enemas in less than a week - and believe you me, it is not a fun time for anyone involved. Sigh - it's not been a very good week.

I was SO excited to have an appoinment Monday night to look at the wheel chair vans. Was, is the operative word in that sentence! The cost for the van is $61,500...no, there's no typo there - $61,500...but the GOOD news is that I can take a 10 year loan and only pay $700 a month. Yippe - so glad there's a silver lining there...seriously - do you know what I could do with an extra $700 a month?!? My dad's been researching other options, so we'll see what happens.

I picked up her glasses yesterday, I even bought the strap to keep them around her head - every time I turned around she had them below her nose or stuck in her mouth. That girl! Hopefully she'll get used to wearing them again very soon!

No comments: