I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Friday, August 27, 2010

I Think I'm Going To Have A Good Cry

Actually, I've already had a good cry - and a few tears in between.  We found out this week that Jennifer will be leaving us in less than two weeks.  I honestly am really emotional about this.  We knew the day would come that she would have to leave and get a "real job", but I'm not ready for it!  Jennifer has become part of the family, and while I know we will always be in touch, visit, talk, etc., it just isn't going to be the same.  I had no idea when we first met her how incredibly special she would become to all of us.  When I told Zachary that she was leaving, he asked me why - I told him that she needed to get a new job, one that paid her more money and he said "She's like my best friend mom, just pay her more money, ask Daddy, he's got lots of money" :)  Oh how I wish!  I need to win the lottery. 

Jennifer set the bar so high in the care that she's given Alex that I don't think I'm going to find that in anyone else.  She has always thought outside of the box, has come up with new and crazy things that make Alex giggle and laugh, she reads and researches different aspects of Angelman Syndrome and wants to understand everything about Alex and why she does some of the things she does, she cries when Alex is upset or sick, she really gets it that Aaron and I need alone time and is genuinely happy when we tell her we're going out on a date - I could go on and on.  "Beans", as we like to call her, isn't a job to Jennifer, they are buddies, friends, pals.  Jennifer and I were talking about her leaving the other day in front of Alex, and I'm not sure if it's coincidence or the fact that Alex knew what we were talking about, but she got mad and real fussy and refused to look at Jennifer the whole rest of the night. 

I'm really happy that Jennifer got a job, and that she's excited about it, but I'm also so incredibly sad at the same time...how is it possible to have two completely opposite emotions going on at the same time?!?

We love you Jennifer, I know you will always be a part of our lives, but we are going to miss you terribly.  THANK YOU for all that you have done for Alex and our family.  You are a very special person and we are so lucky to have had you for the time that we've had.

No comments: