I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Virus

After I posted on Friday, Aaron called me at work to say Zach was still vomitting and couldn't even keep water down. I left work and when I got home Zach was laying on the floor in his bedroom and was very lathargic. I loaded him up in the car and headed for the pediatrician and as soon as we walked through the door he starting vomitting (thank goodness I thought to grab a bucket before we left!)

They ran a bunch of tests, including a flu test, which Zach screamed and fought to avoid. After a blood and urine test, the doctor came back and said that the ketone levels in his urine were 165. I asked what they should normally be and the dr. said zero! He was severly dehydrated and they prepared him for IV fluids. Poor little man was so dehydrated that they couldn't find any good veins to start the IV, and the four times they did try, his veins rolled and we had start all over. Needless to say, Zach was not a happy camper.



I'm happy to say that after two rounds of IV fluids and an IV dose of Zofran he started perking up. Not to be out done by his sissy, when he gets sick, he does it in a major way! I couldn't believe how quickly he became so dehydrated. I had contemplated not taking him and just trying to hydrate him with gatorade and ginger ale, so I'm glad I went with my gut. He is definitely feeling 100% better.

I got a phone call from Alex's speech therapist last week and they have scheduled a vendor to come see her this Wednesday to look at getting her an eye gaze communication system. Wednesday cannot come fast enough! I HOPE Alex cooperates for the vendor and this is something that we can incorporate. To think that she might have a 'voice' in the near future is just too thrilling to not get excited about!

1 comment:

Miss Katie said...

I can't wait to hear about Alex's communication system. It is so exciting!!!
Hope both kids are back to feeling well and ready for school!!!