I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Friday, June 11, 2010

Changing...and Swimming!

I can't believe how much Zach has changed since starting Kindergarten. He's reading, he's spellng, writing, adding, subtracting...very exciting stuff. A few days ago a little booklet came home that said:

"Do you remember me last Fall, so cute and so small?

Over the months I've grown up so, now its off for Summer I go.

Just look at my portraits and you will see, how much I've grown -

my pictures of me!"


Here's the picture he drew of himself when school started....

...and here's the picture that he drew of himself a few weeks ago...


(he's wearing a mask and snorkle in case you're wondering - he was supposed to draw how he was going to spend his summer...)

The change just absolutely blows my mind! :)


Zach absolutely LOVES swimming, I've joked recently that I wasn't quite sure when it was that I birthed a fish, but ALL he wants to do is swim - so on Monday I had him try out for the swim team...




and he made the team! He's so excited and we're very proud of him!! He knew all weekend that his try out was on Monday so we spent a lot of time at the pool practicing (he's always swam underwater, but he had to learn how to swim freestyle for the try out) because he had to be able to swim the entire length of the pool. On Monday I was walking him to school and this was our conversation:

Zach - "Mommy, I don't think I can try out this afternoon, I just don't think I can do it."
Me -"Zach, you're swimming awesome, I know you can do it!"
Zach - "I know Mommy, but I just don't think I can swim the entire length of the pool and not come up for any air, I tried, I can't hold my breath that long."
Me -"Zach!, you don't have to swim the entire length of the pool without coming up for air, of course you can come up for air, you just need to be able to swim the length of the pool without any assistance!"
Zach - "Gee Mommy, I really wish we had this conversation three days ago!"

He cracks me up.

3 comments:

Miss Katie said...

Zachary is so funny. I love that he is doing swim team. I always loved swim team as a kid. I can't believe he is done with kindergarten. He should still be 2 years old in my
mind. I miss you guys. Let's get together sometime over the summer!

Christy said...

Congratulations Zach!

Anonymous said...

You go Zach! Jenni was on the swim team and a lifeguard in high school. Swimming is sooooo much fun.
Sherri