I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Slacking!

Such a slacker I've been blogging! Our routine with us being on vacation and then the kids being out of school for spring break is completely off! So let's see...Alex finished Intensive Physical Therapy the week that we were gone and she finished with flying colors. Monday at school her nurse called me to say her school physical therapist was amazed because for the first time at school, Alex sat unassisted for over 7 1/2 minutes! And I know it might not make sense, but I swear her cognitive skills are sharper. I've weaned her off almost all of her medication and I'm sure that probably has something to do with it as well because she's not all foggy from the meds, but it's awesome to see her so focused. We're working with her with eye gazing to make choices and she's really getting it. We offer her two pictures to make choices for what she would like to play with, read, etc. - she looks at both pictures and then settles her eyes on the object she wants, and if she's not interested in either, she makes it clear by looking up and not focusing on either picture. Obviously we have a long way to go with this, but it's pretty cool to have her be able to communicate in some way. On another note, for the past week she's gotten really bad with using her squeeze bottle for drinking. She was taking up to 4 1/2 ounces at each feeding, but now she barely gets an ounce. She's totally pooling anything I put in there and she's even to the point where she pushes my hand or the squeeze bottle away. We've all been suffering the last few weeks with allergies, so I'm not sure if her throat is bothering her from that, or if she has something else going on so I'm just going to keep on eye on it and will bring her in for a checkup if it continues for much longer.

We had an awesome time this past weekend with lots of friends. Sunday we were at a bb-q with our neighbors and I shot this picture of her that I just love.


I'm really excited that next Friday is the second Little Feet Meet that Alex will participate in. The Little Feet Meet is a division of Special Olympics and if you click on the link above it will take you to a video of last year's event. It's an awesome event and I can't wait to participate again this year.

Zach is doing great - he started Taekwondo lessons on Monday and is loving it. He starts an art class this afternoon as well so he's keeping real busy. The big news is that we are days away from losing our first tooth! He is so excited he can barely stand it! Last night while we were eating dinner he said, "Look, Mom!" and he had his tooth laying completely down. Ick!

There's more to update on, so hopefully it wont take me another week to blog!

1 comment:

Miss Katie said...

I stinkin love that picture of Alex, she is so cute. I'm sorry to hear that she isn't drinking as much. Here's to hoping its a short lived phase and you can get back on track soon. Miss you guys... hope to see you next Friday!