I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Intensive Physical Therapy

Yesterday Alex started her three week intensive physical therapy session at Richmond Hope Therapy. Last year Alex really did great, despite several set-backs. Basically Alex will go to Hope for three hours a day, five days a week for three weeks. While her strength is improving all the time, she is still really weak when it comes to using her arms for anything, especially weight bearing through her arms to support herself in a sitting position. So, on top of the suit therapy, cage exercises, walking, bike riding, standing and sitting, Shannon is going to be working a lot with upper body strengthening. Whew - I get tired for Alex just thinking about it! Yesterday she fell asleep as soon as we got home, but her nap was short lived because she had to be at speech therapy. She was in bed asleep for the night by 6:15PM - and with the time change, it was really only 5:15!

I'm happy to say that we have Alex's old speech therapist
Beth back while Alex's current therapist is on maternity leave...we LOVE Miss Beth! It was really exciting for me to have Beth see her again after six months because Beth was really impressed with how far Alex has come in so many areas. It's hard for me to loose sight sometimes of just how great she's doing because I live it day to day with her - so to see Beth's excitement and have some reassurance does wonders for the soul!


Here a few pictures from when I snuck in for a few minutes yesterday - pay no attention to her hair! If anyone touched her hair yesterday she freaked out - complete with real tears and all.




The hair is fixed - the tears flowed - but eating makes everything much better!

No comments: