I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world; turns out I have to teach the world about her. They see a girl who doesn't speak,
I see a miracle who doesn't need words.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Wow, Wow, Wow!!!!!!!

I got my wish! I got to see Alex have a phenomenal Physical Therapy session!!! Aaron had a class today so he couldn't drop her off - I got nervous that I was going to miss her session beacuse I had to get Zach, but thankfully my girlfriend Noreen picked him up from school and took him to her house for a play date so I could pick Alex up from school and take her to therapy (for the record, Tuesdays are my absolute least favorite day - it's a total marathon day of running and juggling). Anyway, I was so excited to pick her up from school and get her to therapy - and she totally did not disappoint me!!!!

Shannon and I were talking about how great her intensive physical therapy session is going to be for her in March - it will be three solid weeks of three hours a day reinforcing all of this walking. She walked for 55 MINUTES today! She had to have taken over 400 steps today - the consistent minimum amount of steps she took at one time was THIRTY FIVE! And her highest total was SIXTY FIVE STEPS!!!!!!! She knew she did good too! She didn't fuss the entire session - in fact, she was even smiling! I can't tell you how happy and excited I am - my heart literally felt like it was going to leap out of my chest! I left therapy today probably the happiest I have been in a very long time!!!!!!!

Here she is in action - you'll notice in the video that Shannon is holding the bottom of her brace - but it's not to give her any kind of support, it's because the brace needs to be widened and it slips so she's holding it more so that it doesn't slip down and pull out her feeding tube. Occasionally we (I walked her the last walk of her session) can use the position at the back of the brace to help her step over her hip (if that makes any sense!) but the steps are all hers!!!!

She has come such a long way and I am so, so, SO proud of her!!!

5 comments:

Katie said...

YAY YAY YAY!!! I am so excited for you and Alex... she is awesome!!!

stephanie said...

donna - what an incredible afternoon! WOW WOW WOW is right! high fives for everyone - alex, her mommy & daddy and brother, her physical therapists, everyone. i teared up watching alex walk - what a glorious sight!!

Christy said...

Holy cow! How'd I miss this? I'm jumping for joy over here! What a WONDERFUL post!!! And what a way to start out the New Year! Go Alex!

Jennifer said...

wow!!!! that was so awesome!

Noreen said...

Way to go Alex!!!!